Dog has been hospitalized 3 times - follow up

by Janet R.
(Laguna Niguel, CA)

Phoebe continues to do well however, yesterday she threw up a little one time and this morning I found she had regurgetated this brown liquid that smells sour - no froth - it was about 3x4". I find she is not drinking much water much at all but perhaps she receives enough when she eats as I pour chicken broth and water in with her food.

(This is a follow up question to my original post here.)

This is what Phoebe was on when she came home:
> > Metoclopramide 5 mg/5ml - 1.6 ml every 8 hours
> > Prednisone 5 mg. tablets - 1 tablet in a.m. and 1/2 in p.m. (had recently been reduced from 1 in am and 1 in pm)
> > Omeprazole 5 mg - 1 tablet every 24 hours
> > Mirtazaprine 15 mg. Tablet - 1/2 tablet every 24 hours
> > Metronidazole Suspension 30 mg/0.5 ml - 0.7 mls every 12 hours
> > Vibramycin Suspension 50 mg/5ml - 2 mls every 12 hours
> > Baytril 22.7 mg Tablet - 2 tablets every 24 hours
> > Sucralfate 1 g. Tablet - 1/2 tablet every 8 hours

When I got her home I started the acidophoulus, the B complex and B-12 injections, I cut the Baytril dose in half, and decreased the steroids to 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. She's been doing great except yesterday she vomited a very little bit of her meal (maybe 2T). I had gone to a class for 10 hours and my husband was caretaking her. He said she was still hungry so feed her some extra tofu I'd left for our other 2 bichons - the only thing I can think of is this was not fully soaked in liquid, it was drier - and Phoebe expelled a few tofu pieces in a brown liquid. She may also have been upset I was gone?

Four things changed the last two days ago, 1) the brand chicken broth I soak her food in, 2) the Sucralfate ran out and I had to get another manufacturers - the one I had before was blue and when water was added it immediately became the creamy froth - this tablet is hard and white and just produces a white liquid - I feel this medication's purpose is to coat the stomach and it doesn't seem the white would coat as well? 3) the Mirtazapine appetite stimulant ran out but her appetite is good so I don't feel she needs it and 4) I introduced a new soy yogurt that is actually a brownish color which she ate twice but not with gusto so I am taking that out.

Her Metronidazole and Virbrmycin antibiotics will finish up today.

She is still eating the a/d and extra firm tofu and greek yogurt - today she ate the a/d in the a.m. but her mid-day feeding ate around it, so I gave her a little cottage cheese which she loved. I do not know what to think about this brown liquid - no food, no froth. I have attached a picture of it - it smells sour like her breath.

I would appreciate your recommendations and feedback.

I am now going to check on acupuncturist treatments for her.
Thank you,

Janet R.

Comments for Dog has been hospitalized 3 times - follow up

My Online Vet Response for Dog has been hospitalized 3 times-follow up

Hi Janet,
From the photo, the background color of the carpet looks orange, so it makes it difficult to tell if the liquid contains blood in it or if it is due to stomach acid with bile.

Either way, if she does not vomit again, it does not matter what it was. From the diet you are feeding her, there are too many dairy products (Greek yogurt and cottage cheese), and avoid tofu which is made from soybeans and will be too difficult for her to digest at this time.

Continue with A/D, and feed only a very bland diet. You can mix the A/D with some foods such as chicken or turkey baby food, steamed potato or yams, cooked rice, and/or scrambled egg whites.

You may have to return to the 'original' sucralfate brand. I agree, that it is ok to stop the appetite stimulant, and other meds. Continue with the prednisone at the reduced dose, and as she starts on dog acupuncture treatments, the veterinarian can guide you along on decreasing the dose even further.

This morning
by: Janet R

I had not read your note until now and I had fed Phoebe 4 very small pieces of tofu this morning to see if she kept them down. About 20 minutes later, she vomited a white and yellow foam and it was a very convulsive vomit with her stomach contracting like she was working it to come up and out.

Even though she is vomiting, she is still walking with a bounce to her step and she's getting up and around - not completely lethargic like before her 2nd and 3rd hospitalization. I was surprised that about 15 minutes after retching, she drank water.

I needed to give her her steroid an hour later and I mixed it with a little acidophilus, a few drops of honey and a little water - she kept it down.

The holsitic vet is not in until tomorrow - we have an appt. at 9:20 in the morning.

I am not going to try and feed her again until tonight - perhaps I will just give her 1 egg white around 9pm and see how she does with that.

Thank you for your response... I appreciate it. In the meantime, when I give her her sulcanate and Baytril today, I will add a little acidophlous again and I made a little fennel tea, mixed it with half water and acidophilus but she has not yet wanted any of that.

Hi Janet,
You wrote, "when I give her sulcanate and Baytril today, I will add a little acidophlous again and I made a little fennel tea, mixed it with half water and acidopholus."

Instead of the fennel tea, just add some honey with the water and acidophilus. Phoebe will accept it much better.

It sounds like she is improving a bit, with more energy. Hopefully, she is holding down MORE than she is vomiting!

And I am sure the holistic veterinarian will help her too.

Dog has been Hospitalized 3 Times Follow Up
by: Janet Rodriguez

It's been 2 weeks since the hospital. She weighed just over 7 lbs. We took Dr. Tillman's advice...

She has had 3 treatments of acupuncture + adequan injections (+ subcutaneous fluids). The holistic vet also put her on Zofran/Ondansetron 1/2 tab daily (anti-nausea) and Doxycycline, 1/4 tab twice a day. She immediately stopped vomiting. She has not run any temps.

She is still on Baytril, 1 tab a day. We have her down to 1/2 tab steroid a day. I put her on Animal's Apawthecary Phytomucil which:

1) Coats & soothes irritated tissue & reduces muscle spasms.

2) Eases irritation & reduces inflammation & has antiviral and antibacterial properties.

3) Potentially reduces bleeding & fluid loss - herbs with astringent properties tone & tighten gut lining.

4) Several ingredients work in tandem to ease tissue inflammation & help protect digestive system.

I started her on a Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil which she willingly laps up.

I give her a Gentle Digest in a pill pocket 1 time a day with a meal - they are very small capsules.

I also give her a K-9 Transfer Factor 1/4 tab which she freely gobbles up.

She has gained 2 lbs., is running and jumping, tails wagging, her gums turned pink after the first acupuncture treatment. Her bowel movements are perfect - she is drinking and eating - and when eating, she is eating her full meal with our other two Bichons. She's VERY happy to be eating with her pack again.

So, once again, Dr. Tillman, we thank you - the service you provide was so helpful! And when a pet owner is worried sick, it's the middle of the night - and I, myself, was away from Phoebe at the time, in another country - it was a true blessing to find your service online. Thank you!

Hi Janet,
That is wonderful news. You are very welcome. It sounds like Phoebe is on the road to a full recovery with some Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine!!