Dog Has a Swollen Eye

Partner's Eye

Partner's Eye

My 5 year old English Setter male has his left eye that is swollen and red. Some times are worse than others. It looks like the inner eye lid membrane is coming up to cover his pupil, and the eye is almost swollen shut.

I have been dropping antibiotics in his eye three times a day for the last week and a half, but he doesn't seem to be responding.

Comments for Dog Has a Swollen Eye

My Online Vet Response to Dog with Swollen Eye

Hello,
Thank you for the photo. Lacking a history, except for no response to antibiotic drops, I will discuss the list of possibilities that would cause Partner's eye to be swollen, red and inflamed.

Blunt trauma to the outside of his eye, a scratch to the cornea, a foreign body inside the third eyelid or the upper or lower lids. Allergic reaction to a material that got into his eye, allergic reaction causing inflammation of the iris (called 'uveitis'), infection from virus, fungus, or a bacteria, that is resistant to the antibiotic drops you are using, or a tumor growing behind the eye. A Board Certified Ophthalmologist could probably add a few more items to this list.

If the antibiotic drops have not helped Partner in over a week, please make another appointment with your veterinarian to have a more thorough exam in order to come up with a diagnosis. Partner is in pain, and continued inflammation may cause permanent damage to his eye.

Or, if you are unhappy with your conventional veterinarian, then I strongly recommend finding a holistic veterinarian in your area to take over Partner's care.