Dog Has 10 to 15 White Pimples in Small Area on Back

by William N.
(Wilmington, DE)

10-15 white pimples on dog's back

10-15 white pimples on dog's back

My dog has developed 10-15 white pimples in a 2 square inch area on his back. I asked my vet and he said he hadn't seen what my dog has. He recommended we monitor them closely before doing a biopsy.

My dog is a 7 year-old longhaired male dachshund.

Comments for Dog Has 10 to 15 White Pimples in Small Area on Back

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Has 10-15 White Pimples in Small Area on Back

August 20, 2013

Dear William,

From the photo you submitted, these look more like sebaceous cysts, "oil glands". That area of the back has larger glands. A sebaceous gland empties into a hair follicle and releases oil to help the hair stay shiny and glossy. If it becomes clogged, it will appear as a small raised bump. Treatment is to clip away the hair, scrub with a baby shampoo, and lance or squeeze out the clogged oil in sebaceous cysts.

I am not sure if this will be painful or how well he will tolerate this treatment, so it might be better done in a veterinary office. Perhaps a holistic veterinarian would have a less invasive suggestion than to do a biopsy.

To prevent future outbreaks, it would be best to improve the diet. NO DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html. And consider a RAW diet for your Dachsund.