Dog Hair Loss on Back Near Tail

by Gina F.
(Guaynabo, Puerto Rico)

Jackson's Hair Loss

Jackson's Hair Loss

Our dog Jackson developed this condition several weeks ago where he is losing hair. Took him to the vet 2 weekends ago. She said it wasn't anything serious and gave him an antibiotic and told me to step up his Frontline to once every 3 weeks instead of every 4.

He takes Rimadyl occasionally and Phycox every day so the Vet said he might develop some thyroid issues.H e's been on Frontline for 4 years so it's hard to believe it's just now a problem.

What would you suggest as Plan B if I stopped Frontline?

He gets a mix of 1/2 cup dry food (IAMS ) and 1 cup green beans 3x daily. Haven't changed his food in over a year. The beans were the Vet's idea.

Jackson did not get better after first visit to the vet so took him back again and vet say he has a parineal hernia. The hair loss is due to his biting his rear back because he can't reach his anal region, where the hernia is located.

The vet suggested for Jackson is for him to a) lose weight (relieves stress on that area); b) relieve the dry skin through a supplement and also some moisture cream (Udder Butter is fine). He is not a candidate for surgery. Also, the vet does NOT recommend Advantix because it works by getting into the blood stream and has potential for damage to the organs.

What do you recommend?

Comments for Dog Hair Loss on Back Near Tail

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Hair Loss on Back Near Tail

Hi Gina,

Besides the perineal hernia, Jackson may also be chewing/itching that area due to full anal glands, arthritis pain, and/or flea allergy. Or a combination of all of these.

I agree with your veterinarian that he needs to lose weight so that pressure will be decreased against that perineal hernia.

The addition of green beans to the diet is excellent, as green beans only have 20 calories per one cup. But to continue DRY DOG FOOD will not help dry skin. He needs to be transitioned to canned Iams or consider a Raw diet (I am not sure what is available in Puerto Rico.) Or feed him a combination of canned, raw and green beans.

Here is a list of approximate calories. Since I do not know what he weighs now, I will give you a range to choose what would be best for his ideal weight.

If he should weigh:

50 lbs feed him 800 calories per day. (400 calories per meal TWO times daily)

60 lbs feed him 900 calories per day. (450 calories per meal TWO times daily)

70 lbs feed him 1,050 calories per day. (525
calories per meal TWO times daily)

80 lbs feed him 1,150 calories per day. (575
calories per meal TWO times daily)

For dry skin, he needs to have coconut oil massaged into his skin, especially over the back area, ONE time per week. Leave it on for 1-2 hours, to allow it to soak in, (or longer). Use Dawn dish detergent to shampoo off the oil, if he is still 'greasy'. Otherwise, use an oatmeal shampoo, or a baby shampoo...then rinse and repeat.

This oil treatment may need to be continued for 4-6 weeks, then space out every 2-3 weeks as his haircoat improves with the diet.

Phycox is a very good supplement. But Jackson, may also need an immune system supplement such as one of the following:

--------------------------------------------------
TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Hair Loss on Back Near Tail PART TWO

Hi Gina,

Here is the rest of my response.

Frontline is NOT as effective as Advantage for fleas. Frontline does kill ticks, which Advantage does not. But if Jackson's problem is flea allergy, I would advise switching from Frontline to Advantage. OR consider this product Wondercide Quick Treat (Eco Treat + Evolve) (It is all natural, and will help protect against fleas and ticks, mosquitoes, gnats, flies and other insects.)

I would NOT recommend Advantix.

Regarding the Rimadyl, Jackson would be healthier if you could switch from this 'conventional' drug to a more natural homeopathic remedy. You should seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to help choose a homeopathic remedy for arthritis pain, perineal hernia, and skin allergies.