Dog Greasy Fur and Itchy Skin

by Marie S.
(Hamilton, NJ)

My dog has very greasy fur and and seems to scratch all over. She had a red rash on her flank area, but no blisters. This started about 2 months ago.

Her ears are clear and stools are normal. She does not have any odor and no skin flakes.

The vet put her on a short course of prednisone and told me to change her diet, it is a food allergy. I put her on Blue Freedom Chicken Recipe dry/wet.

She is in her second week of treatment and with the reduction of meds, the itch is coming back.

Her fur is still very greasy, but the rash has not returned yet. She doesn't have any hair loss and her appetite is fine. My poor dog spends half her time scratching and sleeping. She's not lethargic, but she isn't her usual self either.

Can you offer any suggestions on how to help her?

She is about to turn 2 and is a Yorkie/Chin mix.

Comments for Dog Greasy Fur and Itchy Skin

My Online Vet Response For: Dog Greasy Fur and Itchy Skin

July 30, 2014

Hi Marie,
"She is in her second week of treatment and with the reduction of meds, the itch is coming back"

This indicates that she does NOT have a food allergy, since she responded to the Prednisone. Food allergies, (usually), only improve when the allergic item is removed from the diet, it is not improved with cortisone.

I suspect she may have an inhaled allergy, (such as to pollen, trees, grasses, molds, etc) since this problem started in late Spring (2 months ago), and prednisone will stop the itching, in these cases, and the itching will resume if the allergic item is still in the environment.

For allergic dermatitis in general, whether from inhaled, contact, flea, or other allergies, the BEST way to help the skin is to provide lots of moisture in the diet. Therefore, NO dry dog food. The 'Blue Freedom/Buffalo' canned, is good. You might also consider trying a RAW diet for her.

A RAW diet will also help to boost her immune system.

See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,

Antronex, a glandular supplement from Standard Process is a liver supplement that will help the liver pull histamine from the tissues. Therefore it is acting like an 'anti-histamine'. Give her 1/2 tablet by mouth or in food two to three times daily as needed for itching.

Bathing her with an oatmeal or baby shampoo 1-2 times per week, will help to 'cool' her skin and relieve some of her itching.

Use Rescue Remedy, a natural flower essence, available in health food stores diluted 20 drops in a 2 oz dropper bottle, to give her 1/2 dropperful by mouth AS NEEDED, or dripped onto her skin, where she is itching, every 10 minutes if necessary to decrease her incessant itching, and to help 'calm' her skin, may also provide her with some relief. This is the 'human' Rescue Remedy, not the one for animals that contains glycerin.

If this itching started after a vaccination was given to her at the beginning of the year, she will need some homeopathic remedies such as Thuya or Sulphur which treat for 'vaccinosis'.

Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form for her, and also to help choose which remedy and which potency would be best for her.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area . Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is .

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us by clicking the like button at the top of the left margin . Thank you!