Dog Foot (Toe Pad) Pain Getting Worse

by Maureen

Prior to the dietary changes my male greyhound dog has been having on and off problems with a sore left front foot. It hasn't gotten better, but has gotten worse.

By the way, both greyhounds are doing great with their new homemade food regimen. No problems with weight loss or gain, and their poop looks great for a change.

I took him to my vet Saturday for the foot problem and after a thorough exam of the leg all he could find was what appears to be a sore fourth toe pad. It's a little larger than the same pad in the right foot, and Blitzen acts like it bothers him.

I thought that toe was the problem too, before the doctor.

Anyway, I am taking him for a foot X-ray in the morning. Do you have any advice you could give my vet? Is it possible that he has a corn without an obvious lesion of the toe pad? That's how he acts.

Outside on soft dirt he is much better and he has no problem jumping up onto my soft bed. He shows no sign of tenderness anywhere in his leg.

When crossing streets where the asphalt is rough he acts like it really bothers him. My vet here is keen on learning the care requirements of greyhounds, but if you think I need to I can take my dog to a greyhound specialist.

Comments for Dog Foot (Toe Pad) Pain Getting Worse

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Foot (Toe Pad) Pain Getting Worse

Hi Maureen,
"I am taking him for a foot X-ray in the morning. Do you have any advice you could give my vet? Is it possible that he has a corn without an obvious lesion of the toe pad?"

You did not mention your greyhound's age, but I am VERY concerned that he may have a cancerous lesion in his toe that is causing the pain. Bone cancer in the toe is NOT uncommon in older greyhounds.

It is always possible that it may be a corn that is very deep that has not 'surfaced' yet, causing the problem. But an x-ray would be very prudent at this point to rule out possible bony lesions.

If the x-rays come back completely normal, I would advise that you NEVER vaccinate him again, continue his raw diet and support him with immune system supplements, such as:

This should help diminish the development of a corn.

If the x-rays show possible cancer, it would be more important to do all of the above, and seek the help of a holistic veterinarian.

- Dog Symptom Checker - Photo, Question & Answer Library for Thousands of Dog Symptoms
- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Canine Tumors/Dog Cancer Section

Thank you! He is three years old, so I am hopeful for the corn diagnosis. Thanks for the supplement recommendation and the idea that vaccinations and corns could be somehow related. I will order the supplements today!