Dog fell on head - Irratic behavior and blindness

by Jim P.
(Woodstock, CT)

We have a minpin that fell from about chest high onto a wood floor and landed on her head/neck. We knew she was hurt because she layed there and twitched for about 30 seconds or so, but got up and walked around after that.

A day or two later we noticed that she kept bumping into things especially on her right side. We suspected that she might be blind in at least one eye, but now we are thinking both eyes. She tilts her head sideways to hear and can follow our voice for the most part, but still bumps into things.

Now all she does is walk in circles-all day long- except when she's sleeping. She always walks to the right in her circle, never left. We feel so badly for her, but do not want to put her to sleep. She is still eating and defecating without difficulty and she doesn't seem to be in any pain.

My question is would chiropractic be beneficial at this point or not? It's been almost a month now since she fell.

Comments for Dog fell on head - Irratic behavior and blindness

My Online Vet Response for: Dog fell on head-Irratic behavior and blindness

Hi Jim,
Did you take your Miniature Pinscher to a veterinarian right after this happened? It sounds like she may have hemorrhaged a blood vessel at the optic chiasm (since both eyes are affected).

A veterinary ophthalmologist can do an exam on her eyes to determine where the lesion is located. I do not believe that chiropractic treatment would be safe at this time, UNTIL it is determined that her foramen, cervical spine and skull are intact.

I strongly urge you to take her to a veterinary ophthalmologist, a 'regular' vet or a holistic veterinarian, ASAP. In the meantime, you can give her ARNICA 200c or 1M potency (available from a holistic veterinarian) for head trauma, one dose every 8 hours for 3-5 days.

- Dog Anxiety,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Behavioral Issues Section

RE- MINPIN
by: Jim

Thank you DR