Dog "eyeliner" peeling/disappearing & chin rash

by Heather
(Pittsburgh, PA)

Punky's chin irritation

Punky's chin irritation

Punky's chin irritation
Punky's eyelid irritation

My 4 year old Welsh Corgi girl, Punky, has has had zero skin issues until the past two months. Initially, I noticed some discoloration on her right eyelid. The black "eyeliner" that is present on most dogs seemed to be peeling and disappearing, but she did not appear bothered.

Next I noticed her chin began to "break out" in the rash indicated in the picture. I changed her food soon after these worsened and also switched to stainless steel food and water bowls. Neither seemed to help.

We did visit my vet and she believes it is an allergic reaction to something in her environment. She suggested it might even be caused by the heat being turned on and circulating new dust particles.

She also recommended giving Benadryl 1 per day, 25 mg as Punky is 25 lbs. I did give it to her a number of times and it seems to help somewhat. My vet wanted us to return if either condition worsened or she appeared to be bothered or in pain.

Punky does not appear to be in pain but is growing weary of me checking her eyes and mouth as both her left and right bottom eyelids have "peeled" where they were black, and her chin continues to "break out".

I have researched these two conditions exhaustively on the internet with little success finding similar symptoms. With the pictures, can you provide any more insight?

Comments for Dog "eyeliner" peeling/disappearing & chin rash

My Online Vet Response For: Dog "eyeliner" peeling/disappearing & chin rash

Hi Heather,
While I cannot give you a specific diagnosis of what is wrong with Punky, it appears from the photos you submitted that he has developed a problem with melanin deficiency or an autoimmune disease that is destroying the melanin in his skin. It is possible that it started due to an allergic reaction, but you did not mention any history of itching, redness or inflammation (symptoms that would commonly occur with an allergic reaction).

There are certainly some genetic conditions that are common to Corgi dogs, but I suspect something such as a vaccination, a drug, or even a food additive/preservative may have triggered this condition. A blood panel would be a good start to get a baseline on his health, include heartworm test, thyroid levels, CBC and full chemistry.

Consider a basic diet with NO preservatives, artificial colors or additives, such as a raw diet. DRY DOG FOOD would be the WORST food to feed him. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options for suggestions.

Also, NO more vaccinations. See a holistic veterinarian to obtain an exemption form for Rabies. If you need to board him, get a note from a holistic veterinarian to 'excuse' him from any vaccination, including Bordatella (the 'kennel cough' vaccine). The condition that he has is not contagious to other dogs, but I am concerned that there may be a problem with his immune system, and he should not be stressed with vaccines.

Some supplements that I recommend to support the immune system are:
1. Immuplex from Standard Process. Give Punky 1 capsule opened and sprinkled in his food two times daily.

2. OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder. Add 1/4 tsp to his food two times daily.

(CONTINUED IN PART 2 BELOW)

Part 2 - My Online Vet Response to Dog "eyeliner" peeling/disappearing & chin rash

3. Missing Link Canine Formula(Dose will vary according to body weight listed on package.)

A holistic vet knowledgeable in homeopathy would be the best treatment for Punky in my opinion.