Dog Eye Swelling

by Tawnya Adams
(Montana, USA)

Our 13 month old black lab developed swelling around his right eye about 2 weeks ago, it hasn't really had any drainage or notable problems with vision changes. It doesn't appear to have affected the eye at all, just the eyelid.

He doesn't act like it bothers him. We thought, at first, it may have been an allergic reaction to something, but it hasn't improved yet. We recently moved to MT from NM and there has been a drastic elevation change, but no changes in his diet, soaps, or bedding.

Comments for Dog Eye Swelling

My Online Vet Response for Dog Eye Swelling

Hi Tawnya,
From only one view of the eye that is involved and the age of your dog and the recent stress from moving from New Mexico to Montana, I would advise having a skin scraping done of the eyelids to check for mites, specifically Demodex mites.

See our page on How to Treat Dog Mange for more information.

These mites will cause clinical symptoms in a dog that is stressed when that dog has a weak immune system. Sometimes it can be weakened from vaccinations, a poor or less than optimal diet, or environmental conditions (especially toxic flea or tick products.)

Certainly it would be worth a visit to a holistic veterinarian for a diagnosis, and then a 'holistic' treatment plan. To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

Nelson

Dr. Tillman,

Thank you, I appreciate your advise. We will be taking Nelson to see a vet. I will update you on his progress. You have been a tremendous help.

Tawnya

Hi Tawnya,
You are very welcome. Please let us know what they find out!

And keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Did you figure this out? NEW

My 5 y/o black lab's eye has been doing this too. It started slightly so only I noticed a mild hair loss. then the skin started looking thicker, rougher... we've been to the vets twice, they tested for mites but didnt find anything. We put him on allergy tabs to see if that helped and it has gotten progressively worse in the last two months. I am starting to worry Going back to the vet tuesday (different Dr.) but afraid they wont be able to definitively diagnose either. I know anything to do with they eyes is never a good thing. Please update if you know anything.

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye Swelling NEW

Dear Anonymous:

Thanks for your question. Although, we have not heard back from Tawnya, I'm happy to help. But we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).