Dog Eye Redness & Discharge

by Antonio

I think my dog may have an eye infection. It is red and has discharge. I was told Visine would help.

She is a 10 month old female Shar Pei and is fed Purina Puppy Dry Food.

Comments for Dog Eye Redness & Discharge

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye Redness & Discharge

August 7, 2013

Hi Antonio,

Very cute puppy you have! Visine would not be effective in this case. Use saline (either commercial or home-made). To make saline according to Dr. Richard Pitcairn's book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, mix 1/4 tsp Sea Salt into a cup of distilled or filtered water. Stir well. If you have a small plastic bottle with a spout for the lid, you can squirt the saline into the eye to flush it and rinse it well. Or use an eyedropper, and a *quick* drip. Three times daily for the next 3 days.

From the photo, it is difficult to know if this is only 'conjunctivitis' or a more serious problem. Since she is holding the eye open, without squinting, I do not think she has scratched it or that there is a foreign body lodged in it. Therefore, she should improve with the saline flush over the next three days. To decrease the drainage and help soothe the inflamed tissues, you can put in 1-2 drops of sweet almond oil into her eye, after you have flushed it with the saline, three times daily for the next 3 days.

You mentioned that you feed her DRY Purina dog food. She will be healthier overall if you improve her diet. Check out our page on 10 Best dog food options,, and consider a RAW diet for her. It is best to do a GRADUAL switch from dry, to adding in canned, and then to raw.

If her eye is NOT improving, OR getting worse, please take her to a veterinarian for an exam! Either holistic or conventional.