Dog Eye Problem - Third Eyelid Inflammation

by Antonio
(Tamaqua, PA, USA)

the pink part of the eye

the pink part of the eye

My dog woke up today with lots of "eye boogers" coming out of his eye. The bottom part of the eye sometimes comes up and is pink. Does my dog have pink eye or an inflamation?

The pink part of his eye in the picture only shows sometimes. What can I do to make him feel more comfortable?

Comments for Dog Eye Problem - Third Eyelid Inflammation

My Online Vet Response to Dog Eye Problem

Hi Antonio,
From the photo you sent, it looks like your Golden Retriever may have a prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid.

The third eyelid provides protection for the cornea in dogs and cats. Reptiles and birds also have a third eyelid which is transparent, so they can see when underwater or flying through the air. In dogs and cats, the gland of the third eyelid also produces tears for the eye to help the tear gland lubricate the cornea.

If the gland becomes swollen, it will bulge up and over the top margin of the third eyelid. When exposed like this, it will become irritated and produce the thick yellow mucous that you noticed.

A veterinarian can check his eye to confirm that this is the problem. Sometimes a conventional veterinarian will suggest a surgery to remove this gland. It would be healthier to find a holistic doctor to recommend treatment to reduce the swelling of this gland and return it back to normal. In the column on the left, look under Health/Wellness and click on Alternative Care, and scroll down to locate a veterinarian in your area.

If he had conjunctivitis, or infection/inflammation of the conjunctiva, it usually occurs in both eyes at the same time.

I would also want to make sure he does not have a foreign body in his eye, such as a piece of plant material, or something such as gravel that might scratch the cornea.

Until you can locate a veterinarian, use Saline solution to rinse his eye, 2-3 times daily. You can then put in 2-3 drops of Olive Oil into his eye, as needed, to help provide some lubrication for the third eyelid and the cornea. This may help decrease the redness and irritation of the third eyelid. And possibly rinse out any foreign matter that may be lodged under the lid.

He is good now!

My dog is good, the next day the other eye had the same problem so i took him to the vet and he said he had pink eye. Thanks!

Online Response to Dog Eye Problem

Hi Antonio,
A diagnosis of 'pink eye', or conjunctivitis is better than a prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid.

Hope your dog recovers quickly,
Dr. Tillman

I think my dog has the prolapsed third eyelid! : (

Hello! How are you?
My male puppy (he is around 1.5 years old) has a bulging red third eyelid (on his left eye only, for a day, his right eye had the same condition, but then it went away)! There isn't a lot of thick yellow boogers, but his left eye has alot of (kind of thick) tears. We went to the vet a few weeks ago, and he gave us this eye drop that may help with the eye. But so far, I don't see any improvement...! The vet said that they may have to do surgery on him, but is there another solution or something else that we may try before the surgery? :)
Thank you so much!
Have a great day!

Subscription Required
by: Administrator

Hi there,

Unfortunately, we are only able to respond to question from subscribers. Click here to sign up and submit your question to our veterinarians.

Thanks,

Jeff

Organic Pet Digest

third eyelid inflammation/Willa
by: Willameena

my dogs third eyelid is also swollen and red but not just in the corner of the eye. you can see a difference in size around the whole eye socket. The whole third eyelid is swollen and red. the local vet said he didn't know what was causing it but gave me antibiotic/steroid eye drops to bring down the inflammation and possible infection. What would cause a problem like this to come on so suddenly?

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye Problem-Third Eyelid Inflammation

Hi Willameena,
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

third eyelid inflammation NEW
by: fatima

hello, greetings! i think my dog rally(shi'h tzu) is suffering from that same photo of the golden retriver but the worst is i saw that the white part of her eyes is getting bigger and its swollen, i dont know what to do. my mom would see a vet but i dont want her to have surgery in case because my dog is pregnant, is there any treatment for this?

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye Problem -Third Eyelid Inflammation NEW

Hi Fatima,
For Rally,