Dog Eye Irritation Issues

by Lorie

Zoe's eye

Zoe's eye

I have a 2 year old Havanese who has been having eye irritation issues. She was staying with a friend of mine who uses a wood stove and when I picked her up, her left eye was red and the area in the corner of her eye was protruding.

This has happened in the past and my vet gave her Neo-poly-bac hydro medicine to clear it up. When this has happened in the past, this medicine cleared it right up. This time, I've been using the medicine twice a day for more than 10 days and it's still irritated.

She doesn't scratch at it and it doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I wondered why the medicine isn't helping this time. I haven't changed her food, etc during this time so she hasn't had any other changes that would affect it. She's also otherwise very healthy.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks so much.

Lorie

Comments for Dog Eye Irritation Issues

My Online Vet Response for Dog Eye Irritation Issues

Hi Lorie,
The picture of Zoe is a little dark, but the swelling in her left eye appears to be 'cherry eye'. The technical name is Prolapse of the Gland of the Third Eyelid. It occurs because of a swelling of the gland.

Treatment with conventional medicine, using ointments that contain antibiotics and cortisone, will make the gland shrink back down into its normal location. But most of the time, the gland has swollen, and the cartilage that maintains the shape of the third eyelid is weak and bends outward. When this happens, even though the gland swelling has decreased, the cartilage is still bent outward and the gland cannot return to its normal location. It is not a painful condition.

Many breeds of dogs are very susceptible to this condition, including Havanese. Therefore, if it happens in one eye it can happen in the other eye too. Correction of this condition by conventional means is by either surgical removal of the gland, or a 'tack down' procedure to physically suture the gland back into its normal location.

Because the third eyelid is responsible for 1/4-1/3 of the tear production for the eye, it is not recommended to remove it. I would suggest having it treated holistically, and seek out the help of a holistic veterinarian.

Providing dog dietary supplements to strengthen cartilage, improving the immune system, making the transition to a raw dog food diet and decreasing vaccinations will help Zoe become healthier and may reverse the condition, or at least prevent it from happening in the opposite eye.

In the meantime, I would make sure that the gland maintains adequate moisture, by using either artificial tear ointment or using olive oil in her left eye three or four times daily and at bedtime.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: