Dog Eye Irritation / Infection

by Lauren Cline
(Evans, CO)

My seven year old male German Shepherd has inflammation fully surrounding his right eye and a few bumps of inflammation in the corner of his left eye. He was fine prior to being boarded for ten days. When we picked him up, he had the irritation surrounding his eye.

The bumps are not oozing or wet, but have more of a scabbed appearance. We have monitored his condition for three days and there has been no change.

He maintains an active lifestyle with daily exercise. His diet consists of Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Senior formula. In addition, he is given a daily dose of Gloco-Flex III supplement for additional joint support.
Please advise.

Thank You!

Comments for Dog Eye Irritation / Infection

My Online Vet Response for Dog Eye Irritation/Infection

Hi Lauren,
From the photos you sent, I suspect that your dog may have a fungal infection or, possibly, dog mange (Demodex mites).

Although, in the Nordic breeds such as Huskies and Malamutes this scabbing and crusting that appears around the eyes can develop due to a Zinc deficiency in the diet.

A skin scraping and fungus culture will be needed to diagnose if it is mange or a fungus. Regarding his diet, Nutro Natural is a good food, but it may be that it is not sufficient to meet the needs for your dog. And it would take several months or years to show up as a mineral deficiency.

The Glycoflex III provides a few minerals, but does not contain any Zinc (It was a coincidence that he was in a boarding kennel when it showed up, or that the stress of boarding him triggered it). A Total health blood panel, which would include several minerals, would be a first step to make sure that he does not have any major deficiencies, and that he has no other problems with his thyroid, liver, kidneys, etc.

Consider adding some raw meat to his diet (NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH) - see 10 Best Dog Food Options.

Also, consider adding a Vitamin/Mineral supplement, to his food, such as OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder. This product will provide all of the vitamins and minerals he needs and help to boost his immune system if he does have a fungus or mite infection.

I would also advise seeking the help of a local holistic veterinarian to help with diagnosis and provide a holistic treatment plan.

Please keep us posted by clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.