Dog Eye Irritation But No Scratching or Rubbing

by Karen

My dog left eye is irritated, but it doesn't seem to bother him. He doesn't scratch or rub it. His other eye is fine.

Rowdy is a neutered male 4-year-old Lab and bull terrier (pit bull?) mix.

We live in Florida and our back yard is a sand pit in which he loves to dig holes and lie in them. Could be the sand is irritating it; however it's never happened before.

I have tried warm compresses, but no improvement.

I am seeking
advice on how to alleviate the irritation.

Comments for Dog Eye Irritation But No Scratching or Rubbing

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye Irritation But No Scratching or Rubbing

Hi Karen,
You live in Florida, Rowdy has a white face, AND he loves to be outside. Regarding his eye irritation, you wrote, "could be the sand is irritating it?" No, I am very concerned that the problem may be skin cancer from the SUN.

Pre-cancerous lesions will NOT itch, but will have an ulcerated appearance. He should be seen for treatment by a holistic veterinarian. In the meantime, use Cod Liver oil, (PLAIN, not flavored), which is high in Vitamin A, very good for skin, and put it into a glass dropper bottle. Apply 2-3 drops into his eye, and on the inner corner of that eye, TWO times daily for 3-6 weeks.

You can allow him outside to enjoy his 'sand pit' area, but not between the hours of 10AM to 3PM. AVOID the bright sunlight!

I would not use any sunscreen near his eyes. Trying to put sunscreen on that part of his face (around his eyes) is not a good idea! You can buy dog 'visors' or 'doggie goggles', called 'Doggles', but I do not know if Rowdy would wear them.

It would ALSO be a good idea, to improve his health with a good diet. NO DRY DOG FOOD. Feed him canned, or better yet, a RAW dog food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options.

ALSO, with the help of a holistic veterinarian, have an exemption form to avoid any more vaccinations. If this IS a pre-cancer, then giving him a vaccination is like throwing gasoline on a fire, according to Dr. Richard Pitcairn, in Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, in the section, "Harmful Effects from Vaccinations".

- Canine Tumors (Dog Cancer),
- Ask a Vet Online Library