Dog eye irritation and gunk

by Fred
(Seattle, WA)

Left eye shown twice

Left eye shown twice

I am concerned about my dog's eye(s). About a week ago, for the first time I started noticing gunk in both of his eyes and more seemed to be in his left eye. I cleaned it out about twice a day with a tissue.

Normally his eyes are very clean. He hasn't seemed to pay attention to his eyes before this morning. He actually seems less affected by irritations than other dogs I have owned, and much less than the 7 lb poodle we have. So I probably need to pay more attention for him.

Yesterday it was starting to get more gunk. I kept it clean.

This morning his left eye was held closed by the gunk in his hair and he was rubbing his eye with his foreleg occasionally and licking his leg. I carefully washed his eye with a damp cloth and trimmed the hair with scissors so it would be easier to keep clean and inspect.

His left eye is red and the tissue is swollen and it is draining a lot. He lets me inspect but I can tell it is more sensitive than normal. He still doesn't try to open his eye very much on his own (he squints it and keeps it closed).

We went for our morning walk with no incident. He ran as he always does.

Back at home he will occasionally rub it, but not excessively. I washed the surrounding area with warm water and then put in a couple of drops of very diluted tea tree oil (diluted with clean water).

He has seemed to be squinting less and maybe slightly less swelling. It is still very red.

I wonder if I can continue cleaning it myself and maybe find some other types of drops that would be good to use?

I wonder how to tell when I should take him to a vet for a prescription?

The picture combines two pictures taken back-to-back - about an hour after I put the drops in his eyes. When I first open his eye, the flap on the inside is visible and is red, then recedes.

He is a 4 year old Yorkie, about 15 lbs. We have owned him for about a year. He is a strong and energetic dog.

Comments for Dog eye irritation and gunk

My Online Vet Response for Dog eye irritation and gunk

Hi Fred,
Your Yorkshire Terrier has conjunctivitis in both eyes. This can be due to a virus or bacteria. Since he has no other symptoms, there are a few treatments that you can do at home that may help...

Do not use Tea Tree oil in the eyes. Instead you can make up a solution of saline, using 1/4 tsp of Sea salt added to 1 cup of filtered water, to clean and rinse his eyes. Even better, for inflamed and irritated eyes, according to Dr. Richard Pitcairn in Dr Richard Pitcairn's book, Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, make up an infusion of the herb, Eyebright (Euphrasia officialis).

If you obtain the Eyebright herb itself (instead of the liquid linked above), bring one cup of water to a boil, then pour over 1 tsp of the herb. Let steep, covered, for 15 minutes. Pour off liquid through a sieve or cheesecloth, leaving solid herb pieces behind. For one cup of infusion add 1/4 tsp of sea salt. Use an eyedropper to rinse both eyes with the solution, followed by one drop in each eye of almond oil. Do this three times daily for 3-5 days.

If there is NO improvement in that time, or he has new symptoms such as sneezing, lethargy, not eating, etc. please call your local veterinarian, ideally seeking out a holistic veterinarian for treating this acute condition, and then treating him for any chronic disease... there may be some reason why he developed this 'infection', such as a weakness of his Vital Force making him more susceptible. Perhaps his diet is not healthy enough, or he has been over vaccinated, or some other stress has caused an 'imbalance' to occur, leading to conjunctivitis.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area

Please keep us posted by clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.