Dog Eye Irritated & Unequal Pupil Size - Potentially Serious

by Seanna
(Panama City Beach, FL, USA)

Our husky has one eye partially closed as of this morning. The pupil is smaller than the other. Some mucous is forming at the corner of his eye.

There is some redness around the outer edges under the eyelid and bottom part.

He also has less energy this morning. We were camping in colder weather on Thursday evening to Saturday morning, but nothing else unusual.

Comments for Dog Eye Irritated & Unequal Pupil Size - Potentially Serious

My Online Vet Response to Dog Eye Irritated

Hi Seanna,
Since you did not submit a photo, I am not sure how much of an emergency this may be. However, I would suggest that your husky be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Unequal pupil size is a symptom of some serious problems. And he is probably having quite a bit of pain, also.

Uveitis (inflammation of the uvea/iris and inner lining of the eye) is one disease that causes the pupil to be smaller than the normal eye. The cause is often not found, but quick treatment with topical anti-inflammatory eye medicine, flushing with saline, to keep the eye clean, will help alleviate the pain and bring the eye back to normal. In some cases, a recent exposure to vaccinations, flea or tick products, or a virus or bacteria may trigger the symptoms.

A veterinary visit will also rule out a foreign body in the eye, a scratch on the cornea, or other trauma. In some cases, a swollen eye can be caused by a tooth abscess, specifically an abscess in the upper fourth premolar, which is the large tooth with 3 roots toward the back of the mouth. If one or more of the roots are abscessed, the swelling of this area will extend upward into the soft tissue below the eye.

Make sure your veterinarian not only checks his eye, but looks in his mouth too!