Dog Eye Injury - Watering Eye with Eyebrow Damage

by Jamie
(New York)

My 43 lb collie mix was attacked by my Mother's dog. It was abrupt but when the smoke cleared my dog's eye looked strange. The eyeball looked normal and there was no blood or obvious scrapes or cuts but her eye was watering a lot and the eyebrow looked strange like hair was sticking up or scraped.

I think the other dog's tooth may have gotten a hold under her eyelid but I can't be sure if the eyeball is scratched or maybe a tear or cut is under the eyelid (around 6pm). It has since swelled up pretty good around the outside corner of the eye and the eyelid and now I notice a puncture on her skin near the inside corner of her eye (around 8pm).

I need to know if there is an indicator of the seriousness of this injury or if I should ice her eye or flush it with saline solution or if it is just bruised due to the trauma and it will have to heal on it's own. Thanks.

Comments for Dog Eye Injury - Watering Eye with Eyebrow Damage

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye Injury-Watering Eye with Eyebrow Damage

March 12, 2014

Hi Jamie,

Please take your dog to an Emergency Veterinary Hospital. From the swelling of her eyebrow region she may have a hematoma, or other soft tissue damage to the conjunctiva above her eyeball. Pressure from the swelling may cause other problems to the tear gland, facial nerve, or muscles that control movement of her eye.

A veterinarian can also apply drops to 'numb' her eye to examine the internal structures to ensure her vision has not been impaired. These drops will also provide pain relief.

Sorry I cannot provide *holistic* help for her, but she should have an examination first to determine what type of treatment she would need.