Dog Eye Inflammation

by Amanda
(Bristol, CT)

My dog has inflammation in one eye. The white of his eye in the inside corner is inflamed and red. He normally has reddish whites in both eyes but they are usually not inflamed.

His a 3 year old mixed breed. We know he is Shepard and Pitbull not sure what breed his father is.

His eye does not seem to bother him at all. No rubbing, no change in his behavior, he's not avoiding light. You can touch all around it and he doesn't pull away. It is tearing but not more then normal and it's clear.

From looking on your site and a couple others we believe it was just dog pink eye. We bought some over the counter pink eye eye drops and have been putting them in once a day. It doesn't seem to be improving.

This has been going on for about a week now. The last two days he seems to have an odd-colored area in the colored part of the eye. Doesn't seem to be effecting his vision either.

We are huge believers in vets and doctors but like to try the natural solution first.

Any suggestions? Or is it time to take him to the vet?

Comments for Dog Eye Inflammation

Correction to question
by: Amanda

Should have said we are not big believers in running to the vet and doctor for every little thing. Like to try the natural or over the counter way first.

My Online Vet Response for Dog Eye Inflammation

Hi Amanda,
It looks like he has had some blunt trauma to that eye, and now there is a section in the outer corner that is infected. I suspect that the whitish discoloration at '11 o'clock' is a collection of pus under the cornea.

I am not sure why he does not show more sensitivity around his eye, but some dogs (especially the pit bull mix) can be very stoic with a very high pain tolerance. I am reluctant to advise you with over the counter home remedies, when (from the photos) it looks like serious problem that should be seen and diagnosed properly. You might also seek out the help of a holistic veterinarian, who can check your dog in person and determine the best course of action.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area

your dogs eyes

hi i see it was a while ago but my dogs eyes are similar,hoping i can buy something over the counter,what did you end up using please xx thankyou

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye Inflammation

April 14, 2015

Thanks for your question.

We have not heard back from Amanda. So, I do not know if she went to a local veterinarian or not.

If your dog has the same condition, 'hypopyon' otherwise known as a collection of pus in the anterior chamber of the eye, there is no over the counter treatment, you should take your dog in to a veterinarian for a proper diagnosis.

I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).