Dog Eye infection/Greenish Oozing Discharge from Eye

by Nikki

Before the eye issue

Our 5 year old mixed breed dog (amstaff terrier & vizsla & other mix) has gooey green discharge coming from his eyes and one eye appears to be clouding up. We have been wiping them daily with clean gauze dampened with sea salt water solution. The relief is short lasting and doesn't help the cloudiness at all.

I really want to get him better but we would like to avoid taking him in as we have not been able to find any holistic vets in the area (Alaska). We will certainly take him in to a local vet if necessary though.

We have access to some eye ointments and are hoping that sharing the pictures might be enough to help figure out if we should try any of them.
They are:
A) Erythromycin
B) Gentamicin
C) neomycin/polymyxin B Sulfates, Bacitracin Zinc and hydrocortisone acetate

I think we may also have the above ointment (C) without the cortisone.

We have had chronic issues with his skin as well that involves dry, scaly, thick looking skin with hair loss but I figured I would start with the acute problem first and work on one issue at a time unless it would be helpful to address them together.

We also have another dog at home that is not affected by any of this at all.

Thanks in advance!

Comments for Dog Eye infection/Greenish Oozing Discharge from Eye

My Online Vet Response For: Dog Eye Infection/Greenish Oozing Discharge from Eye

August 30, 2014

Hi Nikki,
From the great photos that you took of your dog's eyes, I am 99.9% sure that he has 'DRY EYE'. The technical name is 'Kerato-Conjunctivitis-Sicca'.

The cause is usually an immune system disorder, that affects the tear glands of BOTH eyes, (it is rare to only have one eye affected), and it results in a lack of normal tears being produced from the tear glands. When the cornea lacks a normal tear film, the glands of the eyelashes try to compensate, and produce the thick mucous that you describe as 'greenish oozing discharge'.

Treatment is to provide ample tears to the eyes.

This is not contagious to humans or other dogs. But you mentioned that he also suffers from allergies and dry skin.

You wrote, "have had chronic issues with his skin as well that involves dry, scaly, thick looking skin with hair loss..."

Apparently, this chronic issue has continued and now is affecting his eyes.

The goal here, would be to improve his overall health, which in turn, would help his eyes, AND skin.

1. Use the antibiotic/cortisone ointment, "neomycin/polymyxin B Sulfates, Bacitracin Zinc and hydrocortisone acetate" apply 1/3" into each eye THREE times daily for the next 7-10 days.

2. Use an artificial tear ointment, available over the counter for humans, every 3-4 hours when he is awake.

Once the initial redness, and mucous discharge is under control, you can decrease the medicated ointment to ONE time daily for another 7-10 days, but continue the artificial tear ointment, 4-6 times daily. Eventually, you will only need the medicated ointment periodically, but he will need to have the artificial tear ointment forever.

3. DIET: Please check out our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options,, and consider a RAW diet for him. At least decrease the DRY dog food, and mix in a combination of canned, (use the same brand as the dry food) and add in some raw meat. NO RAW PORK or RAW FISH.

Make each meal have about 1/3 dry, 1/3 canned and 1/3 raw. His body needs MORE moisture. Even though he is drinking water, or perhaps you add a little water to his food, that is NOT enough!

4. VACCINES: Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian for an exemption from future vaccinations. Vaccines are the number one cause of immune system disorders/allergies, and chronic illness.

5. Supplements: Here are some immune system supplements that he may need in addition to the diet, if improving the diet is not enough.

6. Homeopathic remedies: A Holistic veterinarian can prescribe a homeopathic remedy based on your dog's overall constitution. In this manner, the goal is to *cure* him so that his skin and eyes return to normal, and no further treatment is needed. Although, in some cases, the vaccines have done too much damage, and it is difficult to achieve a cure. But please by aware, that ongoing vaccination will be detrimental to his health.