Dog eye infection

by Joe Bement
(Lafayette, LA, USA)

Our dog Sierra's eyes have been droopy and red, and she has had a yellowish/brown discharge from both eyes the last few days. This morning a whitish haze had developed over her right eye.

We have 2 meidum size dogs about 38 and 45 pounds, both are rescue dogs unsure of breeds Charlie (black) and Sierra (brendel), both are about 8 years old. We live in south Louisiana.

HISTORY of this illness:
My wife and I recall Sierra having red eyes and some sneezing with some allergies. She does not sneeze now and it does not appear to be allergies anymore.

About 2 weeks ago I walked the dogs. We got back to the house and stayed in the backyard. Right before we went in Sierra ran to the garden and sniffed around. There are ferns in that area. When we went inside she looked fine.

About 5 minutes later her left eye was red and droopy. The next day it appeared better so I chalked it up to allergies. It kept coming back and then would appeared to get better. I assumed it was allergies all this time. About 1 week ago it went to both eyes and we thought it was still allergies.

At the house both of Sierra's eyes have been droopy and red, similar to the dog pink eye we have seen on this site. She has a yellowish/brown discharge from both eyes the last few days. Christmas eve she looked awful. She does not appear sick and if I roll a ball she will get excited and open her eyes until things calm down then they will become droopy again and she will squint and sit and keep them closed.

This morning when we awoke on Christmas day her eyes were very droopy red and for the first time we saw a whitish haze over her right eye. After being up for a couple of hours the eye lost the haziness and looks normal except the extreme red and droopiness. She licked her fore arms and cleaned her eyes for about 30-45 minutes after waking.

Right before I sent this she was walking in the kitchen and hit here face on a chair as she was walking. Not sure if she was walking with her eyes closed because of the irritation or could not see. She hit the chair at about a 10 degree angle.

Two days ago our other dog Charlie developed a discharge on his right eye. Both dogs did get a bath on Dec 24th so I am not sure if he got soap in the eye and it is from that or if he to is developing an infection.

We have 3 kids a 4,2 and 2 month old. The 2 & 4 year old go to school twice a week. So they they bring home the kid germs.

Unfortunately I can't upload any pics.

QUESTION:
Do I need to take them both to the vet as soon as they open or do you think I need to get sierra to a emergency vet because of the white haziness in the eye this morning?

Comments for Dog eye infection

Both eyes hazed today

She awoke with both eyes droopy and squinting. Went on morning walk and came back inside. Both eyes have a whitish haze.

My Online Vet Response for Dog Eye Infection

Hi Joe,
It sounds like Sierra's condition has been worsening over the past 2 weeks. Without a photo, I do not know if the whitish haze is due to mucous over the cornea, discoloration of the cornea or pus inside her eye in the anterior chamber.

You did not mention if her pupils are dilated or constricted. Dilation of the pupils can indicate retinal disease. Constriction of the pupils can indicate uveitis.

Uveitis is a severe inflammation of the iris and uvea of the eye, and can result in diminished vision. And she may have diminished vision now, since she bumped into a chair, or because she was squinting. Squinting means that she is in pain.

I would advise taking her in to an emergency clinic today, or as soon as possible. Charlie's eye does not sound very bad. He could wait until regular appointment hours are available.

The upper respiratory viruses or bacteria common in children are not that contagious to dogs. I do not think that Sierra 'caught' anything from your kids, nor do I think that she is contagious to humans.

Post Emergency visit update

Thanks Dr Tillman,

I took Sierra in to the Animal Emergency Clinic early in the afternoon. Her pupils appear to be dilated, but I don't really see that big of a change from before. I did have to open her eyes with my fingers to check them when I wrote this.

One of the first things the doctor asked was about rat poison which is something I suspected since one of out neighbors has trapped the other neighbor's cats, we have had rats in the neighborhood since. She did have a red area on her belly about 1 1/2 weeks ago, the size of a silver dollar. Told the Doc that but she left it at that. I did ask about conjunctivitis but she did not think it was that.

She was given an Eye-corneal stain, tonometry test, Tear Test Schirmer along with a PT and PTT. Doctor said that all the test came back normal except that the left eye has lower pressure so there is some concern (13, believe is the number she stated from the test). No scratches and its not glaoucoma.

She said that the redness and swelling is of some concern and it is possible that it is the allergies. But she suspects it is an ulcer injury that healed and the whiteness is scarring from the injury. She said no visible ulcer showed up during the exam and that it would not if it healed already and the residual red and irritated eyes is from the infection that occurred after the injury.

She was given antropine opthalmic drops for pain (1-2 drops once daily)and BNP opthmalmic ointment with HC (every 8 hours). She instructed us to have her visit our vet in 7 days and monitor and take her in if it gets worse.

Since visiting the vet, she has laid most of the time on the couch with her eyes shut and only partially (1/4) opens her eyes for a treat. But I have caught her in the hallway playing with a ball.

I applied the BNP opthalmic ointment with HC again tonight and her eyes appear NOT to have the white haziness. Not sure if that is do to the lighting in the house and not seeing them in day light.

Do you think I should take her in to he regular vet sooner and get his opinion or just monitor?

Thanks for your help,
Joe

Hi Joe,
Yes, I would take Sierra back in 2-3 days, not wait 7 days, just to have your regular veterinarian become familiar with what is happening. With all of the testing that was done, and the emergency veterinarian gave a diagnosis of a corneal wound with an infection, it might also be prudent to consider seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian.

I would advise boosting her immune system, with the addition of some dog dietary supplements, such as OrthoMolecular Specialties, Mega C Powder, 1/3 tsp to the food one to two times daily and Immuplex from Standard Process, one capsule on food 2 times daily.

Homeopathic remedies that might be useful would be Belladonna, Apis, or Silicea, but a holistic veterinarian would need to evaluate Sierra in person.

Hopefully, her diet is a healthy one. See our page on 10 best Dog Food Options, and consider a raw dog food diet for her.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here: