Dog Eye Discharge, Crusty & Unable to Open

by James & Rosemary
(Dover, Delaware)

Our dog, Lady (15 years old, Basenji mix), began experiencing discomfort in her right eye about a week ago. She began squinting and rubbing the right side of her snout against the sofa cushions incessantly.

Within the last 48 hours, she has begun to have a lot of discharge in the eye, and she hasn't been able to open it -- or doesn't want to.

I haven't been able to see any swelling, but the eye is almost entirely crusted over with dried discharge and we've been using warm compresses to remove the some of it.
She recoils at the slightest touch and the area is very sensitive.

Comments for Dog Eye Discharge, Crusty & Unable to Open

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye Discharge, Crusty & Unable to Open

December 22, 2014

Hi James and Rosemary,
The photos of Lady's eye do not show much detail, so it is difficult to know exactly what is wrong with her eye. If she started rubbing her eye a week ago, and suddenly now she will not allow her eye to be touched, and she keeps it closed, I am concerned that she may have scratched or punctured her cornea. She may have had other problems, such as glaucoma, uveitis, or a foreign body in her eye, that caused her to rub or scratch it, and now it is worse.

You should make an appointment with either a conventional veterinarian or a veterinary ophthalmologist. The warm compresses are a good idea to keep her eye clean. But she needs an exam to find out what is wrong with her eye. Once you have a diagnosis, please check back and there may be some more holistic treatments or remedies that might be useful.