Dog Eye Condition?

We didn’t notice the ‘issue’ until he was maybe six months old. We’ve asked our vet about it twice. It’s a larger practice so we’ve had two opinions over the course of approximately 1 year.

At his first annual exam the vet didn’t really see anything wrong. She referred to it as “bright” in her veterinarian note. We recently brought him into for is annual exam (approx 1 year later) and this time we saw a different vet. She actually brought it to our attention.

We discussed it at some detail. However, she wasn’t sure what it really was. She just said that there was a “change in the lens of the right eye.” She recommended a consult with a veterinary ophthalmologist.

The eye doesn’t seem to be bothering him at all, and I haven’t noticed it getting any worse since we first spotted it.

It’s quite noticeable in the right lighting conditions. I’m hoping my picture is detailed enough. I have a much higher resolution image that provides way more detail than the upload tool will accept. Please let me know if you would like me to email this copy.

Thanks for your assistance – we are anxious to determine the issue and what can be done if anything.

Dog's Age: 2

Gender: Male

Breed: Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Comments for Dog Eye Condition?

My Online Vet Response for Dog Eye Condition

Hi,

It is difficult from the photo you sent to clearly see the details in the eye. It appears that your dog may have a congenital cataract, and possibly a coloboma (a cleft in the pupil of the eye) and/or persistent pupillary membranes. All of these are congenital defects in the Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier. None of these conditions are painful, but they may cause some vision deficits.

It would be advisable to have a veterinary ophthalmologist examine your dog to give you a diagnosis and to determine if the defects may worsen over time and start to cause a painful condition. (For example, some dog eye cataracts become much larger over time and can luxate from their normal position behind the pupil to a position in front of the pupil and cause an increase in pressure leading to glaucoma.)

If these 'congenital' defects were not actually noticed when he was 3-4 months old, but then appeared by 6 months after his last Distemper/Parvo vaccination and his Rabies vaccination, I would be suspicious of an effect from the vaccines called 'vaccinosis', treatable by dog homeopathy.

It is impossible for me to say that his problem will be improved by supplements, diet, or homeopathy just by viewing a photo. Therefore, I would strongly advise getting the opinion of a veterinary ophthalmologist, and then seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian!

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click on the link below: