Dog eye cloudiness and diminished vision

by Jill D.
(New Mexico)

Ula's eyes

Ula's eyes

We have a 4 year old min pin with some eye trouble. We had initially thought it was just an injury (our male a tad rough with her sometimes) but there's a cloudiness now and diminished vision recently.

She also just had a litter of pups so been busy with nursing and all of that. She otherwise seems healthy and a very good new mama. Good appetite, etc, and waggily tail:)

Her diet is good but I guess maybe not great typically Beneful by purina either regular of for trim weight if she's packing on a few pounds. She's small at 8 pounds.

I'd surely like to go holistic treatment if possible.

A photo I just took this morning is attached. This is both eyes with the second less obvious but seems to be starting with the same.

Thanks for your help and what a wonderful service!

Jill D.

Comments for Dog eye cloudiness and diminished vision

My Online Vet Response for: Dog eye cloudiness and diminished vision

Hi Jill,
The photo you submitted only shows ONE eye. if both eyes are involved, I would not suspect an injury but more of a systemic illness.

In the picture you sent that shows her RIGHT eye, it looks like a condition called Pannus. This is an auto-immune disease that attacks the cornea and creates a pigment that covers the cornea.

If untreated, it can lead to blindness. Conventional treatment usually involves cortisone eye drops and immune-suppressing drugs, like cyclosporine.

Since she is nursing, treatment with homeopathic remedies would be preferred over conventional medicine.

First though, I would advise you to take Ula to a veterinary ophthalmologist to confirm the diagnosis. It may be something else! Then seek a holistic veterinarian for therapy.

You must improve her diet. If she is nursing, she needs to be on PUPPY food diet, either a canned or raw diet. This is NOT time to give her a weight loss or reducing diet.

DISCLAIMER This educational advice is based on the depth of your question
and the picture you submitted. The above should never replace the advice of
your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person.

My Mojo
by: Melissa

Your little Min Pin's eye looks just like my 8 year old min pin's eye... well, both of his eyes. Although, with his situation he was diagnosed diabetic 2 months ago and developed what the vet says is cataracts what seemed overnight and is completely blind now :( It makes me sad but other than that he seems healthy... We are still adjusting as it's only been a few weeks. I was just looking online for eye issues similar to his to see if there was anything natural I could do for my Mojo's eyes... I didn't see when your post was from but I hope you found some answers for your little baby.

Take care.

Hi Melissa,
For Mojo:
If you wish to ask a question, I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).