Dog Eye & Cheek Growth

Our dog Jake has a growth on his eye and his cheek that look similar. The eye growth was there before when he was about 7 and he got it surgically removed even though it didn't seem to bother him.

The current eye growth has been there for about a year and is growing slowly and with exception to redness in the white part of his eye, he doesn't seem affected by it.

The growth on his cheek has come up within the last few months and again does not seem to bother him.

Other than the growths he is a happy, trim, asymptomatic dog. He's a Dalmatian cross who is nearly 13yrs old.

My debate/question is:

Are the growths likely to get larger and cause Jake discomfort so much that it is worthy of getting them removed surgically now while they are small?

He is 13yrs old and surgery will more likely cause unnecessary discomfort and possibly death at his age.

Thank you for your time!

Comments for Dog Eye & Cheek Growth

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye & Cheek Growth

October 26, 2014

RE: Jake, your 13 year old Dalmatian mix, my suggestion would be NO surgery and treat with homeopathy.

The growth on his eye, appears to be benign, and the growth on his cheek looks like a wart.

In my opinion, at 13 years of age, there are more risks from surgery and anesthesia versus any problems occurring with these two growths.

Although, if you choose to treat with homeopathy, I suggest that you use artificial tear ointment or sweet almond oil drops, to help lubricate his cornea and provide protection from the friction of the eye-growth rubbing on his eye. (Especially if it gets any larger during treatment).

To treat with homeopathy, here are my suggestions:

If either of these were noticed after he received a vaccination, I would give the homeopathic remedy Thuya, (Thuja occidentalis). 12C potency dissolving one pellet in one oz Spring water, and give him a dropperful TWO times daily for the next 4-6 weeks. *Succuss* the bottle, (hit it against the palm of your hand 20 times prior to each dose).

If he has not had a vaccination recently, in the past 6 months, then I would give EITHER Calcarea carbonica 12C or Sepia 12C prepared the same way as the Thuya, and give TWO times daily succussing 20 times before each dose.

Feed him a healthy diet. NO DRY DOG food. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, And consider a RAW diet for him. He will also need to have tartar control treats after each meal for healthy teeth.

I would be VERY cautious with any future vaccinations. According to Dr Richard Pitcairn in his book Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, regarding cancer and tumors, 'Giving a dog or cat with cancer or tumors, (or warts), is like throwing gasoline on a fire.'

My suggestion would be to locate a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form to avoid vaccines.