Dog eye bulge has gotten worse

Please tell me what the eye problem in the photo could be. Dolly is a German shorthair, just over 14 years old. Her eye was bulging a little for about 6 months, but in the last day it has gotten worse.

Comments for Dog eye bulge has gotten worse

Response to Dog eye bulge has gotten worse
by: Jeff on behalf of Dr. Tillman

Hi there,

Dr. Tillman must tend to a family emergency and will respond in more detail as soon as possible. She asked me to let you know that from the photo you submitted your dog appears to be a tumor of the gland of the 3rd eyelid. In her opinion, you should definitely see a holistic veterinarian, as she would NOT suggest surgery in a 14 year old.

Jeff

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Eye bulge has gotten worse

Hi,
Looking at the photo of Dolly, it appears that she probably has a tumor of her third eyelid. As it has been present for the past 6 months, only very slowly growing, it may be benign. If it is now suddenly increasing in size, there may be a secondary infection or some other problem occurring.

I would seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, as they would consider the least invasive method to care for Dolly. I would not recommend surgery for a 14 year old dog.