Dog eye allergy or something else?

by Ann
(Leesville SC, US)

Baby Girl's Eye

Baby Girl's Eye

A week ago we bought Baby Girl Publix brand dog food, she didn't want to eat it and soon following she developed an eye allergy (we believe she was telling us that the food was causing her allergy). We found that the first ingredient was corn, so we bought her something much healthier.

We talked to the Vet and they recommended giving her Benadryl. Her swelling in her eye looks much better and is now scabbing; I've had a food allergy in the past and had scabbing before my allergy healed, I believe it's a sign of healing.

There’s a bump underneath her scab, is that normal? Also what else would you recommend we try?

Thanks, Ann

Comments for Dog eye allergy or something else?

My Online Vet Response for: Dog eye allergy or something else?

Hi Ann,
Yes, the swelling around Baby Girl's eye appears to be an allergic reaction. Usually it occurs in BOTH eyes if due to something she ate.

If it was only one eye, I would suspect something else that she brushed against, such as poison ivy or poison oak.. And that made her itch and rub the eye causing more irritation and swelling.

Actually, food allergies usually DO NOT respond to anti-histamine or cortisone, and since she did get better since the Benadryl, I would suspect something other than food. But I do think it is a good idea to find her something better than what Publix carries. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, and consider changing her to a RAW Diet!

You wrote, "There's a bump beneath her scab, is that normal?" Yes, it is still edema secondary to the allergic swelling. You might consider giving her the homeopathic remedy, Apis mellifica 6c or 12c three times daily for 3 days, OR try Rhus toxicodendron 6c or 12c three times daily for 3 days, to clear her up completely.

If neither of those remedies are helping, and the swelling persists, consider seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian. Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area. Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is AVH.org.