Dog Enema Advice: At-Home Administration

by Jenny

I'm attempting to give my dog an enema.

I know how great they feel and my dog hasn't gone to the bathroom in 3 days. I feel so bad and I'm worried about her.

Can you advise how much water I should use for a 9.3 pound Pekingese? Also, what's the general rule by size/weight?

Tonight I attempted to do an enema with a small feeding syringe that has 2 tsp. I got as far as 1 tsp and my dog was shaking so I stopped.

So far nothing has come out of her. I didn't warm up the water.

The water just seems to stay inside of her. I don't want to harm her so I figured I would make sure how much water to use and possibly try again tomorrow.

I don't really want to go the vet because when I was there they said the enema they use contains chemicals and I'm very much into holistic healing. I would rather do this myself and know that my dog is not being exposed to more toxins.

Also, the Gerson diet uses coffee enemas. Have you ever used a little coffee in the enema? The reason is to open the liver bile ducts so all the toxicities can flow out easier. If you haven't tried this I recommend, as it makes you feel so much better.

Also, first I purchased a pedia lax enema for children but it looked too wide Any advise on which enema to use? I found a syringe feeder which is tiny and narrow for easy insertion. Have you found any place to purchase a better enema?

Thanks,
Jenny

Comments for Dog Enema Advice: At-Home Administration

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Enema Advice: At-Home Administration

July 19, 2014

Hi Jenny,
In my previous email, since Pooky has not eaten in 3 days, I would not expect her to pass any stool. So, in my opinion, she does NOT need an enema. I would concentrate on giving her SQ fluids, which you can do at home. And should be much less stressful than giving an enema.

Also, if she has an anal gland abscess, she is probably VERY tender in that area.

A veterinary exam would be necessary to evaluate the amount of stool in her colon, and to determine how much fluid she would need in the enema.

In my practice, I use a small amount of mineral oil in the water. Or sometimes aloe vera juice. See if you can locate a holistic veterinarian from the link below.

Click here to find a holistic veterinarian in your area . Another resource for vets knowledgeable in homeopathy is AVH.org .

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us by clicking the like button at the top of the left margin . Thank you!