Dog Ear Swelling, Head Shaking & Allergies

by Heidi
(Las Vegas, NV, USA)

About a week ago, my dog developed swelling in one of her ears. There is no apparent trauma to the area. She frequently shakes her head, and suffers food and environmental allergies. The enlargement of her ear appears to be an aural hematoma.

She does not appear to be in any distress, but does display some slight discomfort when the ear is touched. She is still active, but is a bit more guarded of her ear.

We do not want to put her through the stress of having the "quilting" surgery (as is standard procedure by our veterinarian) if possible. If any medical intervention is actually necessary, we would prefer aspiration; however, we would like to allow the ear to heal naturally- if at all possible. We are not concerned about disfigurement of the ear. Aesthetics are unimportant.

What are your thoughts on allowing the ear to reabsorb the fluid/blood on its own? And if advised, what methods can you recommend to help speed the healing process and minimize discomfort?

We are confused as to our options because our veterinarian has stated that this is a harmless issue, and that the main issue is eliminating the allergen that causes the head shaking; however, he still wants to do surgery to "prevent a recurrence".

She is a 12-year-old female pit bull, approximately 40lbs.

Thank you in advance for you advice. I look forward to hearing from you.

Comments for Dog Ear Swelling, Head Shaking & Allergies

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Ear Swelling, Head Shaking & Allergies

September 6, 2013

Hi Heidi,

For your 12 year old female Pit bull dog with an aural hematoma in one ear, rest assured that there are NON-surgical methods using homeopathic remedies to treat her ear. Finding the remedy that will treat her whole 'constitution' is the best.

Belladonna, Phosphorus, and Apis are a few of the remedies that I reach for first. All are good for treatment of hematomas. Please send a photo and specify which ear is affected. I will be able to give you a bit more guidance if I can see what her ear looks like.

Make sure she is on a RAW diet, or raw plus canned. NO dry dog food. AVOID conventional vaccinations. In fact it is not unusual to see a hematoma develop after a vaccination is given! Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian, and there are several in the Las Vegas area. And she may also need to be on some immune support while being treated for the hematoma.

-------------------------------

Update
by: Heidi

Thank you for the prompt response!

Unfortunately, I'm unsure of how to upload a photo to my original posting. However, Baby's left is is extremely inflated. As of today, it is taking on a bruised appearance (which I gather is not uncommon since it is swollen with bloody fluid).

Thank you again. If anyone has any ideas on how to upload a photo, I would greatly appreciate the feedback!

Regards,
Heidi

Photos
by: Jeff (Administrator)

Hi Heidi,

I tried to send you an email but it looks like it didn't come through. You can email your photos to infoorganic-pet-digest.com (replace the '' with an "@").

Thanks,
Jeff
Organic Pet Digest

My Online Vet Response For: Dog Ear Swelling, Head Shaking & Allergies

September 9, 2013
Hi Heidi,
As you still have not sent a photo, but you did mention that Baby's ear was now MORE swollen, and looked BRUISED. These are the symptoms that would respond to the homeopathic remedy ARNICA.

Please find some ARNICA montana at Whole Foods, or other Health food store that sells homeopathic remedies. Either in 30C or 12C, the higher the number the better.

Buy a 2oz glass dropper bottle, (they are sold near the remedies), put one pellet into the bottle and fill it with spring water. Shake the bottle by hitting it against the palm of your hand 20 times. (this is called succussing the remedy). And give Baby 1/2 dropperful by mouth one time per hour for 3 hours.

Then three times per day for the next 3 days.