Dog Ear is Bright Red & Swollen

by Wade Mortimer
(Atkins, Arkansas)

her left ear

her left ear

her left ear
her right ear but its just fine

My dog (pit bull) continues to scratch her left ear. It's now bright red and swollen and I can tell it's hurting her.

I got some Q-tips and warm water and cleansed her ear (she enjoyed it). In the cleaning process, out of her ear came blood and yellowish-green earwax.

Do you know what's wrong with her? Are there special ear drops I can use? What else can I do?

Comments for Dog Ear is Bright Red & Swollen

My Online Vet Response for Dog Ear is Bright Red & Swollen

Hi Wade,
In the photo you submitted, you only included your dog's left ear, how does her RIGHT ear look? In holistic medicine, it is important to look at the WHOLE patient. Therefore, it is necessary to know what is going on with the rest of her, not just her left ear.

Otitis externa (inflammation of the external ear) is usually an acute flare-up of an underlying chronic condition. Meaning that if only the ear is treated, it will not solve the problem. In other words, what is being done to prevent it from occurring again, or in the other ear? Going back over her history, it will be necessary to determine if this is due to a chronic condition called 'vaccinosis' (too many vaccinations).

Or perhaps she has been on poor or improper nutrition (a lifetime of DRY dog food), and her immune system (aka 'Vital Force') is weak, leading to this flare-up of otitis. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options for some good dog food suggestions.

Seeking the help of a holistic veterinarian to treat your 'WHOLE' dog, not just the ear, is what should be done. See our page on Alternative Medicine for Dogs for more information.

In the meantime, she is miserable, and you should put an Comfy Cone Pet E-Collar on her to prevent her from causing more damage to her skin and ear.

Also, use room temperature green tea to pour into her ear, about 1 TBSP, one time daily. (It is sometimes best to do this outdoors, as she will shake her head to remove excess fluid from her ear, and it will go everywhere!)

Give her 1/2 to 1 baby aspirin, WITH food, two times daily for the next 2-3 days. This will help to reduce inflammation, and help with pain. It is NOT holistic, but only a temporary 'fix' to relieve her suffering, until you are able to locate a holistic veterinarian.

Click here to find a holistic vet in your area.

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us by clicking the like button at the top of the left margin. Thanks!

-
Dog Ear Infection & Dog Ear Problems,
- Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Ear Problems Section