Dog drags back feet a lot

by Cindy

My dog Drago has been dragging his back feet a lot. He is going to the Vet for acupuncture and it seems to help, but after about 12 days post-treatment his walking declines again.

He will continue with his acupuncture, but I'd like to know what else (supplements, etc) would help him. Diagnosis is probably Degenerative Myelopathy - early stages.

Comments for Dog drags back feet a lot

My Online Vet Response for: Dog drags back feet a lot

Hi Cindy,
My neurology teacher from Vet School at the U of Florida was Dr. Roger Clemmons. He is the premier expert on Degenerative Myelopathy in German Shepherd Dogs. Here is a link to an article that he wrote that lists ALL supplements, diet, (NO DRY DOG FOOD!), dosages and many other details that will be very helpful.

He ALSO has a great deal of knowledge in acupuncture and which Chinese herbs would be beneficial for degenerative myelopathy. I hope that your veterinarian has started Drago on some of these Chinese herbs.

They are also listed in the text book Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine for Neurological Diseases from the 13th Annual TCVM conference, p. 347. (Jing Tang Publishing) Tell your veterinarian that this is a great veterinary textbook to have as a reference!

Dr. Clemmons places a great deal of emphasis on diagnosing degenerative myelopathy. Similar neurological problems can occur in other breeds, so it depends on whether or not your dog is a German Shepherd. If he IS a German Shepherd dog, then the diagnosis of Degenerative Myelopathy is higher than if he is a mixed breed or a different breed of dog. In which case, if he is NOT a German Shepherd, the outcome may be improved!

You mentioned that after 12 days or so the effects of the acupuncture seem to 'wear' off. Did you start Drago on weekly acupuncture treatments and then extend it out to 2 weeks? Perhaps if you resumed the weekly treatments for 3-4 weeks and THEN went to 2 week intervals he might do better? (Along with the above suggestions for diet, supplements, Chinese herbs, etc from Dr. Clemmons.)

- Ask a Vet Library - Dog Musculoskeletal Problems
- Ask a Vet Library - Dog Central Nervous SystemProblems