Dog Dog Sick and Shaking, Toxic Exposures from New Home

by Jenny

My dog, Pooky the Pekingese, and I moved into a new home which was a new construction in Arizona. I had to move out of the new home due to off-gassing of the new building materials. It has been a nightmare staying at hotels and trying to go back thinking the place has off-gassed enough.

It's been 8 months and my dog and I are very ill and still staying at hotels. Both of us are experiencing convulsions. We have both been to the hospitals and we both received no help.

My toxicologist believes that there is probably silicones and polymers in the paints in the home and that is why we are sick. They are using really advanced materials in paints now that are in nanotechnology form, which is going to be the new asbestos, so I'm told.

I have been studying herbs for 6 years so I believe this is what is saving our lives. But I need extra assistance.

I know that our shaking is caused by very high ammonia toxicity. I was in the hospital in June as I was on the verge of having a seizure but I'm now having shock and convulsions. I've been trying to minimize it with vitamins and herbs and I'm also trying to treat my dog as I am heart broken that my dog is also showing signs now, as she is also having convulsions from the toxic exposure.

My family thought that it was just me, as they say I'm just super sensitive. But I guess it wasn't just me. My dog is now shaky like I am from the exposure.

I did a test using the ammonia test kit they sell for aquariums. Both my dog and I are excreting off the charts ammonia in our saliva. I know the healthy range is under .5 ppm mg/L and we are both over 6 ppm mg/L and this is why we are in shock from the toxic exposure from the house. I worked with a toxicologist for a short time helping with computer work and I learned some things about toxins. And I knew that ammonia was an indicator of toxic exposure as many toxins break down into ammonia.

Now, I am using myself as the guinea pig trying to find a remedy. So far studies show that L-arginine and ornithine are the way to detox ammonia and hepatic encephalytis which is what i think we have. So far it's been a couple of days and our ammonia levels are still being excreted over 6 ppmm g/l according to the ammonia test kit, which tests saliva.

I had the vet hospital run blood tests and of course as usual the conventional medical facility had nothing to say, except we don't see anything major wrong with your dog. And sent me home regardless of my dog being in distress. The hospital I went to in Phoenix did the same thing to me as well. Good thing I had some knowledge about herbs and vitamins.

My dog's blood tests showed raised BUN at 44 and high platelets at 708. And raised ALKP at 296. Her other numbers were in range. They did an x-ray and they thought she may have some crystals in her kidneys and her liver was on the small side, but they didn't think it was anything major. And thought my dog had pretty insignificant blood results and x-rays showing nothing major. I think liver and kidney may be stressed? And the BUN may represent the ammonia which contains nitrogen possibly.

I 'm currently trying to provide liver and kidney support as I detox her ammonia. And taking essiac tea, milk thistle, chan piedra for kidney crystals and a little senna for my dogs constipation. I'm also giving parsley herb in water for kidney. I've added some l-arginine, a tiny ornithine, carnitine, magnesium and potassium aspartate.

So far it's been a couple of days and my dog is still in distress. After we went to the hospital three days ago she received fluids and started to eat and now it's been three days and she stopped eating again. Maybe i should go back to the hospital for more fluids as my dog is refusing her water for some reason lately. Or maybe i should give water via syringe?

My dog hasn't pooped in 3 days and I'm worried b/c this could make further ammonia. And she won't eat today and won't poop. Maybe dehydration? If she doesn't go tomorrow should i take her to the hospital for an enema?

I tried to do the enema tonight but was unsuccessful as I got scared when my dog started to shake. Also my dogs anal gland is swollen too which I'm doing epsom salt compresses and some castor oil.

My dog eats organic meats (chicken, beef, lamb, veal). I was using Castor and Pollux dried food. I have tried to give her other foods, veggies etc and she refuses and will even not touch the meat if there is any veggies even touching them on the plate. The only veggie I have ever gotten her to eat is pumpkin.

She will not eat anything besides meat mostly. Hates all dog food, and barely touches the dry Castor Pollux Organics food. Needless to say, that's hard on the kidneys to only eat protein. I don't know what to do to get her to not be constipated because of this.

I wish I knew someone in the Phoenix area that knew holistic healing for pets.

I know this is a lot, and I do have some knowledge of holistic healing, but I thought I would consult you to see if you had any opinions. If this question is too deep for a Q/A form, please let me know how to proceed. And if you have suggestions. Any tests I should get? Recommendations?

Thank you.

Comments for Dog Dog Sick and Shaking, Toxic Exposures from New Home

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Sick and Shaking, Toxic Exposures from New Home

July 19, 2014

Hi Jenny,
From the description of what you and Pooky are going through, I am not sure if an online consult will be able to solve your problems. I am more inclined to refer you to a neurologist for Pooky. She certainly may be suffering from ammonia toxicity. But her blood tests would indicate more changes than a slight increase in BUN and the elevated Alkaline Phosphatase.

I must admit that I am not familiar with testing for ammonia excretion in saliva. Dogs and cats convert ammonia, and excess nitrogen in the body, to urea. Increases in Urea are measured in the blood by the BUN. (blood urea nitrogen) which you had done. Pooky's BUN was elevated, but you said the creatinine, (another kidney waste product was normal). This indicates either she has too much meat in her diet, she has excessive muscle wasting, she may have early renal disease, or possibly an exposure to a toxin.

A urinalysis would be helpful to further determine the problem.

Also, she has increased Alkaline Phosphatase, which is an enzyme produced by the liver and gall bladder. It can also increase due to excessive cortisol, or cortisone, (either external source from medication or internal source, from the adrenal glands).

A resting cortisol level may be helpful.

As you are currently supporting BOTH her kidneys and her liver, but she is not eating, or has a very picky appetite, have you checked her teeth? Pekingese are prone to serious dental issues.

Arizona is a location where Valley Fever, caused by a fungus called Coccidiomycosis, is rampant. And will cause some of the symptoms you have described. A blood test will confirm the diagnosis.

In the meantime, supportive care with IV or SQ fluids, B-12/B-vitamin injections, offering her easy to digest food, such as chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with scrambled or boiled eggs, and cooked rice with the canned pumpkin, might be something to coax her to eat.

If she is not eating, I would not expect her to pass any stool. So, at this time I would NOT advise giving her any enemas.

"Also my dog's anal gland is swollen too which I'm doing epsom salt compresses and some castor oil."

Did they express her anal glands at the clinic? Or is she developing an anal gland abscess? She may need to have it expressed, and or lanced to make her feel more comfortable.

"My dog eats organic meats (chicken, beef, lamb, veal). I was using Castor and Pollux dried food. I have tried to give her other foods, veggies etc and she refuses... The only veggie I have ever gotten her to eat is pumpkin".

Do NOT feed her any DRY food at all. In fact, if she will eat meat, then try to offer it to her RAW. But NO raw pork or raw fish. Or perhaps just cook is so it is 'rare'.

You may be able to locate a holistic veterinarian in Arizona, from the link below.

I hope some of my suggestions have been helpful.