Dog Diet Question - Blue Buffalo Wilderness

by Allen Steffler
(Kingston, Ontario, Canada)

Good morning,

I am writing again about Quinton so hopefully the previous info I left on that post regarding his characteristics is sufficient.

(click here to review other post)

My question is about some further information on diet. I have started him on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness duck and chicken grill food recommended on your site but I noticed they also offer different types of Wilderness holistic food such as salmon for example.

Are all of the holistic products in the Blue Buffalo Wilderness product line acceptable for him?

I would also appreciate knowing what is best for healthy treats for him. He has some separation anxiety, so I often spread a bit of all natural peanut butter on an Alpo Rawhide when I am leaving and that does the trick. A

re either the all natural peanut butter and Alpo Rawhides acceptable and healthy for him? Is there anything you would recommend that is healthier and that will still occupy him?

Thanks,

Allen Steffler

Comments for Dog Diet Question - Blue Buffalo Wilderness

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Diet Question-Blue Buffalo Wilderness

Hi Allen,

"Are all of the holistic products in the Blue Buffalo Wilderness product line acceptable for him?"

Quinton would do best on the CANNED selections that Blue Buffalo offers, NOT the DRY dog foods. And consider also adding in some raw meat, to the canned, too. No raw pork or raw fish, though.

For separation anxiety, use some of the peanut butter stuffed into a Kong toy. That would be much healthier than an Alpo rawhide.

Or freeze some chicken soup inside a Kong toy, that should also keep him occupied. Check out our Dog Separation Anxiety section and Dr. Ian Dunbar's site for separation anxiety, under 'Home Alone'.

Additional Treat Options
by: Allen Steffler

Good morning,

Thanks for your reply. I will be trying Quinton on the other varieties of the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Holistic canned food now that I know all varieties are okay for him. He already loves the duck and chicken grill.

I will pick up a Kong toy for him today so that I can move away from the Alpo rawhides. I will also check out that website you suggested and see if there are any other ideas that may help.

As for treats, are there any other treats you would recommend that he would really enjoy and still be healthy for him? He is very smell oriented it seems, so if a treat doesn't seem appealing he just ignores it for the most part. I am hoping to find a healthy alternative that he will really go for and enjoy.

Thanks again for your help,

Allen

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Diet Question-Blue Buffalo wilderness

Hi Allen,
"As for treats, are there any other treats you would recommend that he would really enjoy and still be healthy for him?"

Our page on Homemade Dog Food Recipes has a huge list of what is recommended and what to AVOID in a dog's diet.

To keep it simple, try slices of apple, pieces of cantaloupe, or small baby carrots. These are very healthy for him, although, I am not sure how much he would enjoy them.

Other dog treats that are labeled as Tartar Control treats would also be good for him, and act to control the tartar on his teeth at the same time.

Thanks for your suggestions!
by: Allen Steffler

Thanks you again for all of your suggestions and help. I plan to continue using your services and website as new questions or research needs arise.

Sincerely,

Allen