Dog Chiropractic Therapy :
An Option for Your Dog?

Eight out of 10 dogs seem to find some type of instant relief from dog chiropractic therapy.

The thought of our dogs on an examination table having their spines adjusted was a bit strange at first, but the overwhelmingly positive results have made us more than willing to give it a shot...

Symptoms that May Indicate a Spinal Problem in Your Dog

YOUR Dog Care Stories

dog careHelp visitors like you by sharing your advice related to this page...

• Has your dog received chiropractic therapy?
    • Yelping in pain after a sudden movement when no other symptoms are present
    • Weak front legs with no site of pain
    • Dryness of the eyes for an extended period of time
    • Looking, yelping or biting when being picked up around the chest area
    • Hunched back
    • Muscle spasms along the back
    • Hip pain in the hind legs with no sign of canine arthritis
    • Trouble standing or laying down
    • Inability to jump
    Back to top of Dog Chiropractor

How Can Your Dog Benefit from Chiropractic Care?

Your dog’s total physical, mental and emotional well being can benefit from dog chiropractic care. When treating a patient with chronic pain, if you take away or lessen that pain the body as a whole reacts positively to the experience.

More specifically, dog chiropractic care can help repair your dog’s muscles to allow the joints to move freely. Your dog’s muscles are healthy if they are free of spasm, weakness, discomfort, knots or degeneration, which is especially common in elderly dogs.

Labrador Retriever, Illinois, USA
    Buy at AllPosters.com

The nervous system can also be affected by poor, or blocked, energy flow (communication waves between the brain and all areas of the dog’s body). This communication can be blocked when the nerves are pinched, which in turn keeps your dog from performing at his optimal level.

Blockages can also cause extreme pain and if left untreated can lead to overall poor health for your dog.

Finally, when the basic skeletal system is not aligned, the body is unable to function at its full potential. Have you seen any signs that your dog may not be exercising, playing or living at his full potential? If so, scheduling an assessment with a local AVCA licensed and certified dog chiropractor may be beneficial for you and your dog.

Back to top of Dog Chiropractor

Will Dog Chiropractic Therapy Hurt Your Dog?

Though it may sound scary at first, the simple alignment of vertebrae in the spinal column causes minimal to no discomfort.

During a typical session, your vet will manipulate your dog’s spine using her hands. If displacement of a vertebra is felt, the doctor will attempt to relieve the displacement with a small, hand-held alignment tool that produces a quick pulse that is meant to tap the vertebrae back into place.

Each adjustment is done with great care and low pressure on the animal... in fact, the amount of pressure is so gentle that it would be safely used on an infant! Experts from the Animal Holistic Care Specialists Group say, "Many dogs noticeably enjoy their adjustments."

Taylor Tips!

Don't worry friends, there's no pain involved! I just love the quality time I get to spend with my owners during my sessions, and I feel likea million dog biscuits when I leave!

Back to top of Dog Chiropractic Care

Is Dog Chiropractic Care Right for You and Your Dog?

Dog chiropractic care is a great drug-free alternative to healing the body of your dog. This along with many other alternative medicine for dogs is definitely worth a try before you take the medicinal route.

Chiropractic therapy may benefit a dog who is experiencing moderate to severe muscle and joint pain as a result of injury or old age. The entire process is virtually pain free and a great alternative to surgery, especially for the older and weaker dog.

If you choose to give it a shot, you must be willing to go through the healing process with your dog. There will likely be no immediate cure for the ailment or pain, so your dog will need your support while attending numerous sessions with the chiropractor. If you're looking for a "quick-fix" to the problem, then dog chiropractic care may not be the right choice for you.

acupuncture dog

If you're still not sure whether it's right for your dog, you can ask our veterinarians directly (along with what other options you may have).

Go to our My Online Vet ask a veteriarian page for more details.

Animal Veterinary Chiropractic Association (AVCA)

The AVCA was formed in large part to "provide the public with unhampered access to ethical doctors trained in chiropractic."

Click here to search for a AVCA doctor in your area.

Back to top of Dog Chiropractor

Your Experience with Dog Chiropractic Therapy

Has your dog received chiropractic therapy?

If so, please share your experiences and advice...

- Why did your dog need it?
    - What specific treatment did she receive?
    - Where did she receive it?
    - How many sessions has she had?
    - What happens during the sessions?
    - Is it working?
    - What does it cost?

And don't forget to upload a picture of your little rascal as well!

Enter a title for your contribution

Dog Chiropractic Therapy Experiences from Other Visitors

Click below to see other contributions...

Dog Chiropractic from an Instructor from Options for Animals Chiropractic College 
    Most dogs love their chiropractic adjustments. Since the spine is horizontal and not vertical there is no cracking sounds as in Human Chiropractic since …

Dog Chiropractic Care is Worth a Shot 
    My 12 year old corgi has had difficulty with his back legs while walking for about 6 weeks. It's hard for him to get up and he tends to walk sideways. …

Dog chiroprtactic care and TCM cured dog hip dysplasia 
    My dog daisy is a Bichon/maltese mix has hip dysplasia which isn't so common. Around the age of 3, Daisy began limping and was constantly in pain. She …

Chiro helped Chow after ACL tear 
    We decided to not give surgery after our 1 and half year Chow had an ACL tear. We looked into different methods and decided to give Chiropractic therapy …

A Miracle Dog Chiropractic Experience 
    For two years, we had been trying to diagnose a mysterious, random pain that our dog Che had. Muscle relaxers worked to treat the symptom, but once off …

Click here to write your own.

Back to top of Dog Chiropractic Therapy

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.