Dog Cauliflower Ear

by Carrie
(Tyler MN)

Zassmine is 4 years old female chihuahua . Ever since I got her as a puppy we have treated ear infections and yeast in her ears.

I gave her a bath about 4 weeks ago and checked her ears and they were fine. I noticed she was scratching at her ear again and checked and was shocked at what I found growing out of her ear.

I called and took her to my vet and she did not know what it was and contacted another vet who said it was inflammation and she needed to remove it and the ear canal.

I am on limited income and cannot afford to have it done. So I have been researching on the internet and found you.

Is there anything that can be done beside surgery? Also, she is scratching it and shaking her head a lot and making it bleed. The vet gave me a steroid to put on it but it seems to be making it worse.

Comments for Dog Cauliflower Ear

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Cauliflower Ear

February 8, 2015

Hi Carrie,

From the appearance of Zassmine's ear, it appears as if the ear opening has been occluded by a wart like growth. At 4 years of age, with a history of chronic ear infections and inflammations, that probably started this excessive tissue growth. I also suspect the underlying 'susceptibility' for her to form this, is from vaccinations.

You do not mention if she received a vaccine 4 weeks ago, but I suggest that you do not give her any more vaccinations. You may need to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form if she is due for any vaccines.

**Is there anything that can be done beside surgery?**

Yes, we can try some homeopathic remedies.

**Also, she is scratching it and shaking her head a lot and making it bleed.**

Homeopathic remedies can take weeks or months to work in some cases of chronic disease. So, you will need to make her wear an 'E-Collar' to prevent her from causing more trauma. Check out the 'Trimline' soft E-collars that are more comfortable than the rigid plastic ones.

1. Give her the homeopathic remedy 'Thuya', (Thuja occidentalis) 30C potency. Dissolve one pellet in a 1 or 2 oz glass dropper bottle and fill with Spring Water. give Zassmine 1/2 dropperful by mouth one time daily for 3 days, then one time per week for the next 3-4 weeks.

2. Make green tea, 2 bags to one cup of water. Let cool to room temperature. Use a soft cloth or gauze to dip into the tea and apply it as a compress to this wart like mass in her ear. As it warms to her body temperature, then dip again into the tea and apply it to her ear. Do this for 10-15 minutes two times daily for the first week. Hopefully, this will draw out some of the inflammation, and give her some relief.

3. NO DRY Dog food. She should be on a canned or better yet a RAW diet. Check out our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options, http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/10-best-dog-food-options.html.
Some good brands are Primal, Nature's Variety or Bravo.

4. She may need some immune system supplements. But it would be best to gradually get her adjusted to a raw diet first, before adding a lot of *new* things to her food. Here are a few supplements to check out.