Dog Breeding Books - Top 2 Reviewed
Good dog breeding books are an essential first step whether you're just getting started or are an experienced breeder looking to improve.
We’ve found 2 that will usher you down the right path…
- The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog (Not only for show dog breeders)
- Dog Breeders Professional Secrets (Great if you're starting a dog breeding business)
The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog is written in an easy-to-understand language by renowned dog breeder Ann Seranne. It has long been used as a top reference for professional dog breeders, but it is also great for beginners. Whether on your first litter or your 10th, this book will share information to help you improve.
Seranne believes that breeding dogs is a privilege that requires hard work, commitment, talent and passion, and her views show up frequently throughout this guide in both the content and writing style. This makes for an impactful read that helps to shape the right breeding mentality.
It also has easy-to-follow graphics, pictures and charts to show you how it's done.
Here are a few of the areas you’ll cover…
- What to know before you start breeding dogs - are you mentally, physically and emotionally ready?
- How to spot the good and bad qualities in your own breeding stock
- Step-by-step instructions on how to produce dogs of good health and temperament
- How to whelp, raise, socialize and condition puppies
- How to spot the warning signs of an ailing pup
- How to spot the dogs best suited for showing and breeding
We especially recommend Dog Breeders Professional Secrets: Ethical Breeding Practices for those interested in creating a reputable dog breeding business. The author shares several examples and insights from her years of breeding experience, and she comes across in a very personable and understandable way. We found the examples to be very balanced and therefore more helpful…
…the positive experiences show what works while the negative experiences help the reader to learn from her mistakes.
Here are some of the highlights…
- How to whelp and raise strong, well-rounded puppies
- Breeders professional secrets on how to create a successful dog breeding business
- First person stories from the life of a professional dog breeder
- How to be viewed as a professional in the world of dog breeding
- How to become financially successful with your dog breeding business
Was this page helpful? If so, please tell your friends about it with a Facebook like or via Twitter, Pinterest, email or good old fashioned word of mouth. Thank you for supporting our efforts!
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.
For additional research, search for your topic...
In the spirit of full disclosure, we wanted to let you know that we proudly support this website through advertising and affiliate marketing. In other words, when you click on a link that takes you outside of this website, we often earn a small commission. These small commissions allow us to keep the site up and running and to continue offering it completely free of charge to you. Rest assured that all content, recommendations and advice are created before, and are independent of, any sponsorship or affiliate relationship. Click here for more info.