Dog Blood Work Review

by David
(Boynton Beach, FL)

Our question is about our dog's blood work. Although several areas are listed as “HIGH”, his holistic vet states “Good!!”.

In reviewing my mini excel chart below, you can see that the Urea and BUN have been steadily increasing over the last two years. Isn’t this a cause for concern?

Some additional facts: Snickers, a 14 year young male Cocker Spaniel, has been on a homemade diet based on Dr. Karen Becker’s book, “Real Food for Healthy Dogs & Cats” which is described as “A detailed "recipe book" to get you started down the path of feeding an evolutionarily appropriate raw diet to your dogs and cats”.

Snickers doesn’t do well with raw meats, so we cook the beef, chicken and turkey. He has been on this diet since August of 2013. However, since he was having digestive issues, between May 29, 2014 and about June 20, 2014 he was eating (based on his holistic vet’s recommendation), only cooked chicken, canned organic pumpkin and zucchini. By June 24, 2014 he was back to his regular diet.

Date of blood work

7/8/14 2/19/14 7/12/13 4/12/13 4/12/12 Ref range

Alk Phosphatase 146 162 809 1639 1634 5-131
Urea Nitrogen 56 40 27 21 23 6-31
BUN Creatine 62 44 30 26 23 4-27
Platalet Count 713 694 845 895 74 170-400

I should also mention that Snickers was diagnosed with a heart murmur in 2002. In October of last year, he started exhibiting breathing problems, coughing and a lot of breathing noises. Since our holistic vet continued to ignore my comments about this issue, we took Snickers to his conventional vet who did x-rays and an ECG.

The X-Rays report stated in part that, “The cardiac silhouette is mildly increased in height and width.” The conclusions stated: Suspect cardiomegaly. Significance of this is unknown but valvular insufficiency or less likely cardiomyopathy shoud be considered. If clinically warranted, an echocardiogram to further assess the heart may be of benefit. There is mild increased soft tissue opacity seen in the caudodorsal lung lobes but this does not appear to be severe and the significance of this is unknown.

The ECG report stated:
“Lead II ECG: regular rate and rhythm. There is a regular R-R interval with an associated P-wave for each QR5 complex. The average heart is 110 space 130 beats per minute with the PR interval 0.1 seconds. There are no VPCs, A fib or V tach. There are no dropped beats, sinus arrest or unassociated P waves. There is undulation of the baseline. The P waves are slightly tall and variable in appearance.

Assessment:
Normal sinus rhythm based on heart rate, regular R-R interval and associated P waves. There are no ectopic beats and no evidence of heart block, sinus arrest or unassociated P waves. There is undulation of the baseline as with movement, shivering or panting. There is mild P mitrale suggestive of left atrial enlargement and a probable wandering pacemaker given the variable appearance.

Given the cardiomegaly and cough, the probability of mitral valve endocardiosis and left atrial enlargement with impingement of the main stem bronchi is likely. Check blood pressure. Consider a low-dose diuretics (furosomide or spironolactone). Ace inhibitor (benazepril at 0.25 mg/kg PO bid) and possible bronco dilation (theophylline at 5 mg/kg PO bid). Consider an echocardiogram.

The above assessment is based solely on a lead II ECG.”

The vet suggested several pharmaceuticals which we declined. We opted to use a protocol found at caninehearthealth.com. See the bottom of this document for protocol information. We used this protocol between November 27, 2013 and March 29, 2014.

The protocol worked and Snickers stopped having the raspy cough and the noises. We stopped on March 29 based on our appointment with his holistic vet about his soft stools and mucus in the stools. At the May 29, 2014 appointment it was decided to change Snickers diet due to soft stools and mucus in the stools. The new diet would be:
• Chicken
• Zucchini/papaya
• Pumpkin

With the following supplements:
• Hawthorne
• Chlorella – 2 or Spirugreen
• CoQ10 – 1/1 capsule
• Soloxine – ½
• DNG

It appears that Snickers stomach/digestive system is no longer handling the oils and the cayenne pepper and ginger. We are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. He needs the canine heart protocol but it upsets his stomach. Since returning Snickers to his regular food, we have added back the Dog Greens, Carnitine and Taurine.

We also added CoQ10 AM and PM and a sprinkle of D-Ribose at lunch based on Dr. Stephen Sinatra’s book Metabolic Cardiology.

Will this be sufficient to maintain his heart?
One final note – since all my readings indicate that inflammation is the number one health enemy, we use grounding (some call it earthing) for Snickers. He has a grounding pad on his comforter in the foyer that he sometimes lays on.

Comments for Dog Blood Work Review

My Online Vet Response For: Dog Blood Work Review

July 15, 2014

Hi David,
You are correct, there is some concern regarding the gradual increase in the BUN values over the past 2 years.

I might point out that BUN stands for Blood Urea Nitrogen.

And I find it easier to look at the BUN separately from the Creatinine. You reported the BUN (Urea Nitrogen) now up to 56 (normal 6-31) and then the BUN/Creatinine Ratio, now at 62, (normal 4-27)

That makes it difficult to tell if the Creatinine is increasing or not.

At least I think that is what you meant, you wrote:
Urea Nitrogen 56 40 27 21 23 6-31
BUN Creatine 62 44 30 26 23 4-27

The way to interpret it: if the BUN is increasing while the Creatinine stays in the normal range, there is not much to be concerned about.

If BOTH BUN and Creatinine are increasing, there is some worry that the kidneys may be weak. Since Snickers also has some compromised heart function, meaning LESS blood flow to the kidneys, then the kidneys may become weak.

Another test for kidney function is a urinalysis to check the Specific Gravity, (how well the kidneys are concentrating urine) and the microalbuminuria level. This measures how much protein (albumin) is leaking through into the urine.)

To help the kidneys, you should give Snickers AZODYL. This is a nitrogen absorbing bacteria that comes in a capsule form, in which you open the capsule and sprinkle the powder containing the bacteria onto his food. The bacteria go into his intestine and absorb the nitrogen from breakdown of protein, taking the load OFF of the kidneys. And helping to LOWER the BUN.

Another product made by Standard Process is called Renafood. Is a glandular supplement to support Kidney tissue.

Both Renafood and Azodyl are available on amazon.com or from your holistic veterinarian.

The Alkaline Phosphatase value is greatly improved! But you do not show the other liver or gall bladder enzymes. Nor do you mention the pancreas enzymes Amylase and Lipase or Spec cPL. (Specific Canine Pancreatic Lipase).

These are important to monitor considering he has had some digestive disturbances. He may need pancreas support to help digestion, and altering the diet as you have done.

And the platelet count can vary greatly depending on how the blood sample is obtained, (the venipuncture) and how the blood sample is handled on its way to the lab). So, I am not too concerned with the increase values. I would be more interested in seeing the WBC, (white blood cell count and differential) and the RBC, (red blood cell count, with packed cell volume).

You have done great with cardiac support. And adding these supplements, with the Hawthorne
• Chlorella – 2 or Spirugreen
• CoQ10 – 1/1 capsule
• Soloxine – ½
• DNG

I do not think you need to worry about the Cayenne Pepper or ginger. Although, it would be nice to know if the lab included the pancreas enzymes, ALT, and bilirubin.

Is he truly hypo-thyroid? You did not include the T4 level. For a more natural thyroid support I always give Thytrophin, by Standard Process. It does NOT contain any thyroid hormone, only the 'building blocks' to support the thyroid gland to help it make more hormone. When you give thyroid hormone, (soloxine), the pituitary registers there is enough in the system, and will stop sending TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone to the thyroid).

"inflammation is the number one health enemy, we use grounding (some call it earthing) for Snickers. He has a grounding pad on his comforter in the foyer that he sometimes lays on."

Excellent!!

Let me know if you have more questions, or if I have not answered these questions completely.

Follow up to blood work review
by: Dave

August 26, 2014
Hello Dr Tillman,
This is a follow-up to my previous submission dated July 15, 2014 regarding my question relating to our 14 year young male Cocker Spaniel named Snickers’ recent blood work. In the prior submission, I was questioning the blood-work that showed a systematic increase in some of the levels. Although several areas were listed as “HIGH”, his holistic vet stated “Good!!” In your response of July 15, 2014 you agreed there is some concern regarding the increase in BUN values over the past two years.
You stated in your response: “The Alkaline Phosphatase value is greatly improved! But you do not show the other liver or gall bladder enzymes. Nor do you mention the pancreas enzymes Amylase and Lipase or Spec cPL. (Specific Canine Pancreatic Lipase).” And: “And the platelet count can vary greatly depending on how the blood sample is obtained, (the venipuncture) and how the blood sample is handled on its way to the lab). So, I am not too concerned with the increase values. I would be more interested in seeing the WBC, (white blood cell count and differential) and the RBC, (red blood cell count, with packed cell volume).” And: “Although, it would be nice to know if the lab included the pancreas enzymes, ALT, and bilirubin.” “Is he truly hypo-thyroid? You did not include the T4 level.”
I have included another mini-spreadsheet showing the values you were asked about (see below).

Amylase 508 572 836 911 997 290-1125
Lipase 375 242 209 135 175 77-695
WBC 14.2 11 17.6 17.3 11.8 4.0-15.5
Differential Absolute Absolute
ALT (SGPT) 93 85 89 116 136 12-118
Total Bilirubin 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1-0.3
T-4 1.3 2 1.6 1.3 1.4 0.8-3.5
RBC 6.0 5.7 5.8 None 6.11 4.8-9.3
Snickers has two vets – one traditional and one holistic. The traditional vet seems to be a much better diagnostician but believes that pharmaceuticals are the answer to everything. One point to mention – Snickers is kind of an anxious dog. He exhibits anxiety when I do his hydrotherapy, take him to the beach for his swimming therapy, sometimes riding in the car, etc.
Snickers is also having a lot of problems with his joints, specifically his back legs. They sometimes give out on him, or one of the back legs will spasm and start tapping on the floor. We have tried acupuncture and many sessions of laser therapy. The last laser sessions were completed at the end of April this year (a series of 6 – 2 per week for 3 weeks). Below is a timeline for the digestive issues/diet:
Timeline
4-10-2014 – visit to traditional vet for ear infection. We also discussed Snickers’ prior blood-works. Dr stated that based on the blood-work, Snickers has an ulcer. He prescribed Sucralfate Suspension 1G/10ml. Since I do not like using pharmaceuticals I did not begin administering Sucralfate immediately after 4-10-14 appt. I subsequently began administering on 4-28-14 until 5-1-2014. At this time, my research indicated that there may be an issue taking this medicine while using herbal preparations. At the time Snickers was on several herbs (hawthorne tincture, canine heart tonic) for his heart. Rather than use the Sucralfate, I opted to use Glutamine and began the glutamine on 5-8-2014. I administered the glutamine once a day from 5-8 until 5-29-2014. On the 29th we had an appointment with Snickers holistic vet and she suggested we stop the glutamine.
4-28-14 – 1 cc sucralfate am only
4-29-14 – 1 cc sucralfate am and pm
4-30-14 – “ “
5-1-14 – 1 cc sucralfate am only. At this time, my research indicated that there may be an issue taking this medicine while using herbal preparations. At the time, Snickers was on two herbs (hawthorne tincture, canine heart tonic) for his heart. Rather than use the Sucralfate, I opted to use Glutamine and began the glutamine on 5-8-2014. I administered the glutamine once a day from May 8, 2014 until May 29, 2014
5-8-2014 – 5-27-2014 – glutamine
May 29, 2014 appointment it was decided to change Snickers diet due to soft stools and mucus in the stools and stop the glutamine and some of the other supplements. The new diet would be:
• Chicken
• Zucchini/papaya
• Pumpkin
With the following supplements:
• Hawthorne
• Chlorella – 2 or Spirugreen
• CoQ10 – 1/1 capsule
• Soloxine – ½
• DNG
Snickers was fed this diet three times a day. Lunch meal did not include any supplements except a sprinkle of D-Ribose beginning on 6-4. His stool continued to have mucus to some degree until about June 11
6-3 and -4 – RDC (Red Desert Clay for pets)
6-4 – started adding a few drops of minerals to assist with CoQ10 as discussed in Metabolic Cardiology by Dr. Stephen Sinatra as well as Carnitine and Taurine.
6-11 – (2 week point) started adding dog greens to meals. Gave him ½ a dental bone as a treat in the PM.
6-12 - About this time, Snickers started having severe itching problems, particularly on the left rear leg and groin area.
6-14 some mucus appears in stool again
6-15 – began introducing regular food again in small amounts (AM and PM but not lunch)
6-16 – stopped the regular food and just served chicken, zucchini and pumpkin
AM- stool still formed, firm, brown with greenish tinge, no mucus PM – formed but soft, green specs (zucchini?), some mucus
6-17 – AM – nicely formed, brown, no mucus PM – added ¼ t of Hawthorne oil as test
6-18 – AM – ¼ t Hawthorne oil and Heart tonic added as test
stool still formed, brown, notes do not indicate mucus still licking groin eating grass – result of oils? Stopped oils at this point
PM – added ¼ c regular food (beef meal); stool 2 firm pieces, dark brown, no mucus
6-19 – AM - ¼ cup beef meal; stool formed but a little soft, brown, notes do not indicate mucus
PM – ½ c beef meal – stool formed, no mucus
6-20 – ½ c chicken meal in AM and PM – Stool formed, dark brown, some mucus still licking groin and legs – Yeast?? PM stool dark and soft, notes have no mention of mucus
6-22 – started Syntol for yeast in afternoon
6-23 – took Snickers to beach – swimming and wading in ocean. Bath with Phytovet CK Antiseptic Shampoo 12:12 – biting and licking left leg
6-24 – cut Celery out of chicken meal
7-15-2014 – submitted 1st letter to Dr.Tillman
7-18-2014 – visit to traditional vet – urinalysis determined bladder infection, prior blood work indicated ulcer. He prescribed Cephalexin 250 mg for bladder infection and Sucralfate Suspension 1G/10ml for ulcer. On prior visit dated 4-10-2014 Sucralfate Suspension was also prescribed.
7-19-2014 – began administering 1 cc of Sucralfate Suspension twice a day until 7-29-20-14
8-8-2014 – re-exam with traditional vet– urinalysis determined that bladder infection was cleared up. He also did blood test to check only the Urea Nitrogen, BUN Creatine ratio and the Creatine. Here’s those results added to the mini-spreadsheet:

8/9/2014 7/8/14 2/19/14 7/12/13 4/12/13 4/12/12 Ref range

Urea Nitrogen 45 56 40 27 21 23 6-31
BUN Creatine 56 62 44 30 26 23 4-27
Creatine 0.8 0.9 0.9 0.9 0.8 0.9 0.5 - 1.6
8-21-2014 – s/w Scott Lund via phone. He states that Snickers still has an ulcer and we should admin the Sucralfate for two more weeks.
8-22-2014 started adding turmeric to morning meal and ACV at lunch
8-26-2014 – blood in stool this morning – from turmeric or ACV?
Eating grass and licking dirt
Current diet:
Cooked beef, beef heart, beef liver (from grass fed cattle), zucchini and cantaloupe
Cooked chicken, chicken heart, chicken liver, zucchini and cantaloupe
Cooked turkey added to above meals occasionally
Soft boiled egg added to meals several times a week
Sardines added to meals several times a week
Current supplements:
Dog Greens
Hawthorne (Standard Process)
Carnitine
Taurine
.3 mg Soloxine
.5 mg DNQ
½ CoQ10 (NOW 150 mg caps) started using Ubiquinol in PM
D-ribose
Syntol
RDC
Questions:
What do we do about his ulcer? What do we do about his back legs?
Cordially,
Dave

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Blood Work Review

August 27, 2014

Hi Dave,
From the digestive symptoms you have listed for Snickers:

blood in stool, dark stool, soft stool, mucous in stool, eating grass and licking dirt

I am not sure how your conventional veterinarian has diagnosed a stomach ulcer from only the blood results. All of the symptoms above are diagnostic of 'colitis', or inflammation of the colon. Sucralfate is useful for 'coating' the lining of the stomach to decrease the production of hydrochloric acid, and will act as a 'patch' on the stomach wall and will serve as a 'band aid' to cover a stomach ulcer, (so it is effective for an ulcer in the stomach).

An endoscopic exam, and/or barium contrast, called an Upper GI x-ray study, would be more diagnostic for a stomach ulcer, with an Rx for Sulcralfate.

Other symptoms listed for Snickers:

weakness in hind quarters, joint problems especially in hind legs,

ear infection
bladder infection

anxiety issues

"Questions:
What do we do about his ulcer? What do we do about his back legs?"

I am not convinced that he has an ulcer. I suspect it is colitis. Either way, the homeopathic remedy Phosphorus is indicated for the above digestive symptoms, and it is also useful for arthritis, and anxiety.
I would suggest you use the homeopathic remedy Phosphorus 6C or 12C. One pellet dissolved in 2 oz of Spring Water. Give Snickers 1/2 dropperful by mouth THREE times daily for the first week, then TWO times daily for 'maintenance'. It would be ok to increase the frequency as needed if he has a relapse in loose stool.

I also suggest that you add some acidophilus to each meal. You may be adding it already, I may have missed it. All of the other supplements should be continued. And the diet plan you are feeding sounds good.

Follow up
by: David

Hello Dr Tillman,
This is a follow-up to my previous submission dated August 26, 2014 regarding my question relating to our 14 year young male Cocker Spaniel named Snickers’ recent blood work, joint issues and stomach issue. In the prior submission I forgot to mention I have been administering Azodyl based on your recommendation in your initial response dated July 15, 2014. Should we continue the Azodyl?
In addition, what about the Urea Nitrogen and BUN Creatine still way over the norm in his August 9, 2014 blood test for just those areas? Here’s the info again:
8/9/14 7/8/14 2/19/14 7/12/13 4/13 4/12
Urea 45 56 40 27 21 23
BUN 56 62 44 30 26 23
Creatine 0.8 0.9 0.9 0.9 0.8 0.9

Thirdly, you recommended Phosphorous for his stomach and joint issues. Not sure if you meant to dissolve Phosphorous in 2oz water and use half dropper of the same solution 3x daily for a week. Does the solution need to be refrigerated? Please confirm.

Cordially,
Dave

September 5, 2014

Hi Dave,
....what about the Urea Nitrogen and BUN Creatine still way over the norm in his August 9, 2014 blood test for just those areas?

Should we continue the Azodyl?

Yes, the Azodyl is to help LOWER both the BUN and Urea Nitrogen.

Thirdly, you recommended Phosphorous... not sure if you meant to dissolve Phosphorous in 2oz water and use half dropper of the same solution 3x daily for a week.

YES.

Does the solution need to be refrigerated?
It does not need to be cold, but it does need to be away from direct sunlight, away from electrical outlets, away from computers, and cell phones (electromagnetic radiation). So, keeping it in the refrigerator door, works for everything.

Follow up question on length of remedy
by: David

September 15, 2014

Hello Dr. Tillman,

Snickers continues to have problems with his legs – both front and back. The problem is getting worse. His legs spasm and he is extremely sensitive to touching on his back or neck (He was diagnosed in July of 2010 with Spondylosis Deformans at L2 and L4).

His back leg “taps” the floor at random times. We’ve used both acupuncture and laser therapy in the past, but Dr. Timothy R Dooley in his book, Homeopathy, Beyond Flat Earth Medicine, states that homeopathy may not mix well with acupuncture. Dr. Pitcairn states the same thing on page 263 of his book, Dr Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats – “Acupuncture and Chinese medicine, like homeopathy, is a complete system that stands on its own. For that reason, it is best not to combine it with homeopathy, because, in my experience, the two can interfere with each other.”

In your prior correspondence you wrote:

“I am not convinced that he has an ulcer. I suspect it is colitis. Either way, the homeopathic remedy Phosphorus is indicated for the above digestive symptoms, and it is also useful for arthritis, and anxiety.
I would suggest you use the homeopathic remedy Phosphorus 6C or 12C. One pellet dissolved in 2 oz of Spring Water. Give Snickers 1/2 dropperful by mouth THREE times daily for the first week, then TWO times daily for 'maintenance'. It would be ok to increase the frequency as needed if he has a relapse in loose stool.”

We have administered the remedy for two weeks at this point. How long do we administer this remedy? What other options are there for his joint problems? Do we stop the remedy and try acupuncture or laser therapy again?

September 15, 2014

Hi David,
Yes, you are correct. It is not recommended to 'mix' modalities such as Acupuncture AND Homeopathic remedies at the same time.

You wrote, August 26,
"...tried acupuncture and many sessions of laser therapy. The last laser sessions were completed at the end of April this year (a series of 6 – 2 per week for 3 weeks)."

Therefore, I did not think you were continuing to do acupuncture, from what you wrote above. Or maybe you only stopped the laser, and you are doing the acupuncture??

I suggested homeopathic Phosphorous 6C or 12C. Which potency are you using?

Although, I ALSO need to know how the rest of him is doing.

Stool?
Cough and respiration?
Appetite?
Energy?

If all of the above is good, then I am more encouraged that the Phosphorous is helping.

But, if his legs are worse, more weakness, more spasms, now BOTH front and back legs are having problems, when before it was only the back legs, then he may need a higher potency of Phosphorous. If he is on the 6C he may need to go to the 12C. If he is on the 12C he may need to go to 30C. But we will need to adjust the frequency if we get to the 30C or higher potencies.

I am also concerned about an ongoing weakness in his heart, and if there is enough circulation to his limbs. Are his feet cold? Is he able to stand and walk by himself? If he is able to stand, or stand with assistance, there is a test for conscious proprioception in which you place his foot (either front or hind) 'upside' down. Meaning try to turn the top side of the foot and place that side on the ground, then watch to see how quickly he is able to return it to its correct position. If he is NOT able to return it to its correct position, and just leaves it that way, I am really concerned that he has a worsening in his spine. (Progressing beyond the spondylosis deformans that was diagnosed in 2010.)

You also wrote,
"...extremely sensitive to touching on his back or neck".

What do you mean? Is he painful? Does he try to bite when you do this? Does he try to move away?

At this point, I would definitely advise that you seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to examine him in person.

Regarding the homeopathic Phosphorous, I feel that the prescription is correct. It is indicated for all of Snickers' symptoms: (MacRepertory Analysis)

1. Stool too soft
2. Stool bloody
3. Heart Murmur
4. Heart dilatation
5. Hind legs cramp
6. Hind legs weak/especially after least exertion
7. Kidneys, with uremia
Top remedy is Phosphorous.

But I do not know which potency you are currently using, and it may be that he actually needs an LM potency which is a prescription from a holistic veterinarian.

Answers to your questions
by: David

September 16, 2014

Hello Dr. Tillman,

Thank you for your quick response. You wrote, “Yes, you are correct. It is not recommended to 'mix' modalities such as Acupuncture AND Homeopathic remedies at the same time.”

Isn’t it true that homeopathy should also not be “mixed’ with herbs? Snickers is currently taking Hawthorne in the AM and PM for his heart.
In regards to your question regarding acupuncture – Snickers is not getting acupuncture at this time.

Regarding your question concerning the potency of Phosphorus we are using – 6C.

You also wrote,
“Although, I ALSO need to know how the rest of him is doing.

Stool?” Soft but no visible blood or mucus (nor has there been for quite some time)
“Cough and respiration?” No cough; respiration is 24 to 30 breaths a minute. He wakes up during the night and sounds like a person clearing his throat. He also makes these noises during the day sometimes.

“Appetite?” good

“Energy?” Hard to judge, I don’t know how much energy a 14 ½ year young dog should have. He does sleep a lot during the day but does get up to go outside periodically. We take him for walks in the evening (approximately 5 out of 7 days) and he walks on average about one half mile. He walks slowly and stops along the way to sniff or just rest. It’s amazing how he will be breathing hard but doesn’t want to stop walking sometimes.

You also asked,
“I am also concerned about an ongoing weakness in his heart, and if there is enough circulation to his limbs. Are his feet cold? Is he able to stand and walk by himself?”

His feet do not appear to be cold. He can stand and walk by himself. I also give him hydrotherapy once a day. Using a hand sprayer in the bathtub, I apply hot water to his heart area for one minute, then cold water for one minute for a total of ten minutes. As I understand it, hot water brings blood to the surface of the skin, which is why the skin turns red; it relaxes the body by expanding blood vessels and loosening the muscles. Cold water does the opposite; it contracts the muscles and blood vessels sending the blood on the surface deeper into the body and organs. By alternating hot and cold circulation is increased in the body. Blood carries oxygen and nutrition to every cell and organ in the body. I would think this would help Snickers legs and joints??

We performed the test for conscious proprioception – his left rear leg spasms a bit when doing the test. He loses his balance when we try to test the right front leg. But, he is able to quickly return it to the normal position.

You also asked about his sensitivity to our touching his back – “What do you mean? Is he painful? Does he try to bite when you do this? Does he try to move away?” His body reacts when we touch him on certain parts of his neck or back, sometimes causing his body to “twist or curve” or his leg to “tap” the floor.

Assuming you recommend increasing the dosage, how long do we administer the new dosage? Will the Phosphorus help with pain management?

Cordially,
Dave

September 18, 2014

Hi Dave,
"Isn’t it true that homeopathy should also not be “mixed’ with herbs? Snickers is currently taking Hawthorne in the AM and PM for his heart."

It should not be mixed with Chinese herbs. Western herbs, like Hawthorne, are ok.

Walking 1/2 mile is GREAT!

Hot and cold water hydrotherapy is excellent!

"You also asked about his sensitivity to our touching his back –

His body reacts when we touch him on certain parts of his neck or back, sometimes causing his body to “twist or curve” or his leg to “tap” the floor."

I am still not clear on what you are describing. Is this movement involuntary? Is he consciously twisting or curving his body to avoid touch because it hurts? Does he cry out? Or is he not conscious of moving or 'tapping' his foot, so it is involuntary?

Your test for conscious proprioception, indicates that he still has fairly good nerve function.
" – his left rear leg spasms a bit when doing the test. He loses his balance when we try to test the right front leg. But, he is able to quickly return it to the normal position."

Albeit, he is placing more weight on his front end, to relieve his hindquarters.

You wrote that "the potency of Phosphorus we are using is 6C. Assuming you recommend increasing the dosage, how long do we administer the new dosage?"

Increase to 12C, and give Snickers 1/2 dropperful by mouth, TWO-FOUR times daily, for the next 3 weeks.

"Will the Phosphorus help with pain management?"
Yes. It will help to some extent. He is an older dog, so I am not sure of his healing capabilities. Taking him to a holistic veterinarian would be best for evaluation of the sensitivity to touch.

Antibiotics and Phosphorus
by: David

September 29, 2014

Hello Dr. Tillman,

In your September 18, 2014 response regarding my question on Phosphorus you stated: “Increase to 12C, and give Snickers 1/2 dropperful by mouth, TWO-FOUR times daily, for the next 3 weeks.”

It’s taken us this long to get the Phosphorus 12C – we had to have it ordered by a local vitamin store. In the meantime, Snickers has an infection on his left leg. On September 17, his traditional vet prescribed 125 mg of Clavamox every twelve hours and Dermachlor 2% shampoo to be used topically for 10 days.

Not being a fan of antibiotics, we opted to try only the topical shampoo. The shampoo has not worked – he continues to chew on his leg. We started the Clavamox last night.

Can we administer the Phosphorus 12C at the same time as the Clavamox?

Cordially,
Dave

September 29, 2014

Hi Dave,
That is quite a long time to have to wait for an homeopathic remedy! (11 days!)

If you were able to take Snickers to a holistic veterinarian, they would probably have it available in their clinic. It is not good to give a remedy at the same time as an antibiotic. (The same as mixing Chinese herbs, or acupuncture with homeopathic remedies.) It would not hurt Snickers, but the antibiotic will interfere with any beneficial effect from the Phosphorus.

Once you have finished with the Clavamox, then start the remedy.

In the meantime, while he is on the antibiotic, he should have some acidophilus added to his food, to replenish the good bacteria in his GI Tract.

Question on Thuja
by: Dave

October 24, 2014

Hello Dr. Tillman,

I’m writing you today to ask your opinion of the homeopathic remedy Thuja. Snickers now has so many of these warts (papillomas) that it is very difficult to give him a haircut. In addition, the warts on the legs bother him to the point that he is constantly licking and chewing on them.

It’s time to do something about these warts. Dr. Karen Becker (an integrative vet) in several articles over the last couple of years suggests using Thuja. She has no recommendations as to dosages.

We ordered a liquid called Thuja occidentalis 30c on line (http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Newton-Homeopathics-Thuja/161016.aspx#pr-header-back-to-top-link). The instructions state:

•For Healthy Animals: Give 3-6 pellets or
3-6 drops by mouth 3 times daily.
•For a Chronic Condition give 3-6 pellets or 3-6 drops 1 time daily.
•In chronic cases where symptoms do not improve in 2 to 4 weeks, please consult your veterinarian.

However, Dr. Pitcairn on Page 442 under Schedule 4 of his book seems to indicate only give one dosage and wait a month. If the warts are not gone, use Causticum (page 418) or Silicea. Your thoughts?

In your September 18, 2014 response regarding my question on Phosphorus you stated: "Increase to 12C, and give Snickers 1/2 dropperful by mouth, TWO-FOUR times daily, for the next 3 weeks."

A day or two after starting the Phosphorus, Snickers started having mucus in his stool and a little blood at one point(not necessarily from the Phosphorus). As of yesterday, that issue seems to have cleared up.

Presumably, we would not administer both remedies (Thuja and Phosphorus) at the same time. At least that seems to be Dr. Pitcairn’s methodology. Snickers holistic vet uses multiple remedies at the same time. Your thoughts?

Cordially,
Dave

October 24, 2014

Hi Dave,

Dr Pitcairn taught me everything I know about homeopathy! I took his year long Professional Course in 1996.

He teaches 'classical' homeopathy as it was started by Dr Samuel Hahnemann in the 1700's. In which homeopathic remedies are not combined, they are given only one remedy at a time. Other holistic practitioners practice 'eclectic' medicine, and not only combine homeopathic remedies, but mix them with acupuncture, Chinese herbs, etc.

Dr Hahnemann teaches that it is best to find the ONE remedy that combines All of the symptoms of the patient. When I first studied Snickers' lab work July 15, we had a list of all of his problems:
1. Kidneys
2. Bloody stool
3. Weakness in the hind quarters
4. Heart
5. Anxiety issues

The TOP remedy that is best for all of the above was Phosphorus. I suggested a lower potency of 12C due to Snickers age.

Did he also have warts at this time? Or did the warts show up now?

It took you a long time to order the Phosphorus 12C, (approx September 29?) but Snickers had a 'leg infection' and was on Clavamox, so he could not start the Phosphorus until he finished the antibiotic.

I am not sure when he started the Phosphorus 12C, maybe October 2 or 3? And you wrote,
"A day or two after starting the Phosphorus, Snickers started having mucus in his stool and a little blood at one point(not necessarily from the Phosphorus). As of yesterday, that issue seems to have cleared up."

How about all of his other symptoms? And now warts?

In the New World Repertory by Dr. Pitcairn for WARTS, there are 78 remedies. Thuya is considered as a GRADE 4. Phosphorus is also indicated for warts, and is included in this grouping, but only a grade 1, lower down the list.

SKIN; Warts (78) :
4BELL., 4CALC., 4CAUST., 4DULC., 4NIT-AC., 4SULPH., 4THUJ.,

3Ant-c., 3Ars., 3Bar-c., 3Fl-ac., 3Graph., 3Hep., 3Lyc., 3Merc-c., 3Nat-c., 3Nat-s., 3Ph-ac., 3Rhus-t., 3Sars., 3Sep., 3Staph.,

2am-c., 2anac., 2aur., 2benz-ac., 2bov., 2calc-s., 2carb-an., 2carb-v., 2carbn-s., 2ferr-pic., 2kali-chl., 2lac-c., 2lach., 2med., 2nat-m., 2ox-ac., 2petr., 2pic-ac., 2psor., 2ruta, 2sil.,

acet-ac., alum., ambr., anan., ant-t., arg-n., ars-i., aur-m., aur-m-n., berb., bor., bufo, chel., clem., cocc., colch., cupr., euph., ferr., ferr-p., iod., kali-ar., kali-br., kali-c., merc-i-f., mill., nat-p., nux-v., phos., phyt., plb., ran-b., sabin., spig., sul-ac.

-------------------------------------------------

Since Snickers had an 'aggravation' to the Phosphorus, (more mucous and some blood in the stool), I would decrease the dose to ONE time daily or to every other day. In my opinion, the Phosphorus should be continued, as I am assuming that he still has some kidney issues, some heart issues, weakness in his hind quarters, anxiety etc. And he has warts, for which Phosphorus is also indicated.

I would NOT start another remedy, Thuja (or Thuya) at this time. Use Rescue remedy diluted 20 drops in 4 oz of Spring Water to apply to all the warts, areas where he is licking, chewing etc to help 'calm' the skin and calm Snickers.

Follow up
by: Dave

October 27, 2014

Hello Dr. Tillman,

I’m writing you today in regarding your October 25, 2014 response to my October 24, 2014 submission. You wrote:

"When I first studied Snickers' lab work July 15, we had a list of all of his problems:
1. Kidneys
2. Bloody stool
3. Weakness in the hind quarters
4. Heart
5. Anxiety issues

Did he also have warts at this time? Or did the warts show up now?"

Snickers has had the warts for a long time. However, between the haircut we gave him on 10-5-14 and 10-18-14 the warts increased dramatically. Many of the new warts are very small which indicates they are new.

Here’s a recent timeline:

8-31-14 to 9-18-14 - administered the Phosphorus 6c
10-3-14 – blood work at traditional vet’s for BUN Creatine (48) and Creatine (0.7)

previous BUN- 56,62,44,30,26 (back to 4-12-13)
previous Crea - 0.8,0.9,0.9,0.9,0.8

10-3-14 – laser eye surgery to remove recurring growths on both eyes

10-12-14 through 10-15-14 – administered Phosphorus 12c

10-14-14 – stool started showing heavy mucus and the following day there was mucus and some blood in the stool. Early morning (04:50) of 10-16-14 the stool was almost all mucus. At this point we stopped the Phosphorus, most supplements and his regular food. I started him on turkey, pumpkin and zucchini meals with limited supplements. Also, administered two Nux Vomica twice on 10-16-14.

10-16-14 – present – fed Snickers only the turkey for several days and then ½ regular food with ½ turkey. Then his regular meals with a little Orijen kibble to hopefully firm up his stool (hasn’t worked). His stool has had mucus on and off during this time (mostly on). Yesterday (10-26) and this morning, his stool was full of mucus.

Also, during the above time period, Snickers has been congested and sneezing a lot. I'm ready to pull my hair out!

Obviously, something in his diet (or supplement) is causing a problem. What do we feed him the provide superior nutrition and not cause the colitis?

You also asked: "How about all of his other symptoms? And now warts?"

His kidneys are okay based on Creatine level, right? His back legs are still weak. His heart seems to be okay, although he does do that coughing thing once in a while. His anxiety during his hydrotherapy has been mitigated by giving him little treats of chicken during the therapy.

You also wrote: "In the New World Repertory by Dr. Pitcairn for WARTS, there are 78 remedies. Thuya is considered as a GRADE 4. Phosphorus is also indicated for warts, and is included in this grouping, but only a grade 1, lower down the list." Is this stating that Thuya is better for removing warts than Phosphorus? (I understand about the ONE best remedy, just a general question)

Cordially,

Dave

October 27, 2014

Hi Dave,
Yes, Grade 4 is a stronger indication for that remedy than a Grade 1.

September 15, I repertorized Snickers' symptoms,
1. Stool too soft
2. Stool bloody
3. Heart Murmur
4. Heart dilatation
5. Hind legs cramp
7. Kidneys, with uremia
Top remedy is Phosphorous.

Today, I added in 'warts'
1. Skin, Warts- itching
2. Skin, warts, painful
3. Stool, mucous
4. Stool, bloody
5. Urinary, Kidneys, with uremia
6. Heart dilatation
7. Heart, murmur
8. Extremities, weak in hindquarters.
The top remedy is still Phosphorus.

Therefore I would not change to Thuya, even though if you look only at Thuya it is a grade 4 for warts. When you take into account all of Snickers' OTHER symptoms in a HOLISTIC approach, the thuya remedy does not even come in the top ten. And the top remedy that does come up, is Phosphorus. Showing that it is the remedy that is the most indicated.

Looking back at September 29, when Snickers had the leg infection, was that from him chewing on warts? Where he needed Clavamox antibiotic for 10 days? I am not sure how well he would respond to the remedy after giving antibiotics.

Then you mentioned that he had some warts on his eyelids surgically removed, October 3.

------------------------------------------------
According to Hahnemann, removal of external 'symptoms', such as warts or growths, has a huge suppressive effect on the Vital Force and can potentially cause the whole case to become incurable.
As his Vital Force was suppressed from surgery, he probably was NOT able to respond to the remedy at this time.
10-14-14 – stool started showing heavy mucus and the following day there was mucus and some blood in the stool.
10-16-14 (Early morning 04:50)the stool was almost all mucus. At this point we stopped the Phosphorus.... administered two Nux Vomica twice on 10-16-14.
-----------------------------------------------
With so many other factors involved, it is difficult to interpret what is happening at this point. I doubt he will respond to the Nux vomica either.
10-16-14 to present – fed Snickers only the turkey for several days and then ½ regular food with ½ turkey. Then his regular meals with a little Orijen kibble to hopefully firm up his stool (hasn’t worked). His stool has had mucus on and off during this time (mostly on). Yesterday (10-26) and this morning, his stool was full of mucus.
He should have Kaolin-pectin (KaoPectate for animals) to help calm the colon, and absorb the excess fluid/mucous produced. Your holistic veterinarian should have this available. Since he is not responding to any remedies at this time, it is best to give the Vital Force a rest, and prevent Snickers from becoming dehydrated.
during the above time period, Snickers has been congested and sneezing a lot.
***Of course, he is producing more discharges in an attempt to heal.
"something in his diet (or supplement) is causing a problem. What do we feed him the provide superior nutrition and not cause the colitis?"

Nothing in his diet is causing a problem. His system has been thrown into 'disorder' as Hahnemann would phrase it.
I suggest:
1. NO homeopathic remedies at this time.
2. NO dry food.
3. Only feed easy-to-digest turkey, and/or some canned food.
4. Acidophilus in every meal.
5. KaoPectate for animals, NOT for humans. (All 'human' over the counter Kaopectate contains aspirin.) The one for animals contains only Kaolin (from clay) and Pectalin (from apples).

Perhaps, at this time, consider quitting homeopathic treatment and consider some acupuncture to help his weak hindquarters. Acupuncture combines well with Chinese herbs, antibiotics, and other conventional treatments.

Continuing Colitis
by: Dave

December 5, 2014

Hello Dr. Tillman,
Snickers has been battling what appears to be colitis since mid October (the 14th). Prior to that date, his stool was very soft but with no apparent mucus. At various times between October 14 and present, we’ve fed Snickers Turkey, Pumpkin and Zucchini – for example 10-27 through 10-30.
Stool seemed to clear up becoming firmer and with no mucus. We would then slowly reintroduce Evangers Beef or Evangers Chicken.

For the last 3 weeks or so, we’ve been feeding cooked ground turkey, probiotics and with some Evangers beef dinner with the following supplements:
•Dog Greens - but not in every meal. Dog Greens include the following:
o Coenzyme Q10
o • Omega 3 fatty acid
o • GLA (gamma-linolenic acid)
o • Mucopoly saccharides
o • RNA & DNA (nucleic acids)
o • Chlorophyll and Xanthopyll
o • Alpha-linolenic
o • SOD (Super Oxide Dismutase)
o • B vitamins including B-12, pantothenic acid, choline, folic acid and others.
o • Vitamin A (beta carotene), C, D, E, F, K and others.
o • Array of minerals and microminerals including calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, iodine, selenium, silicon, silver, sulfur, iron, boron chromium, cobalt, copper, germanium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, vanadium and more.
o • Full of Enzymes and amino acids

• Carnitine
• Taurine
• CoQ10 and Hawthorne
• Soloxine
• DMG
• Azodyl (based on your recommendation) –Should we continue the Azodyl?
• Flax Oil sometimes
When Snickers is eating primarily the turkey, he doesn’t poop regularly. In fact, his pooping pattern is quite erratic. Often he goes 24 hours between and Tuesday to Wednesday it was 36 hours. Today he has pooped 3 times. Stool is almost inconsistent – mostly soft with mucus, but occasionally firm. Mucus is present almost every time in varying amounts. Recently in very large amounts.

Snickers is also losing hair – I’ve been finding bits of his hair around the house for the last week or so. Also, he is very restless sometimes and wakes up in the middle of the night which is atypical.

In your last communication you wrote, "He should have Kaolin-pectin (KaoPectate for animals) to help calm the colon, and absorb the excess fluid/mucous produced. Your holistic veterinarian should have this available." Our holistic vet did not have it available. I looked online at that time and only found Kaolin-Pection made in China. Suffice it say, I would never give Snickers any product made in China. Yesterday, I found product that is allegedly made in the USA.

You also stated:
"Nothing in his diet is causing a problem. His system has been thrown into 'disorder' as Hahnemann would phrase it.
I suggest:
2. NO dry food.
4. Acidophilus in every meal.
5. KaoPectate for animals, NOT for humans. (All 'human' over the counter Kaopectate contains aspirin.) The one for animals contains only Kaolin (from clay) and Pectalin (from apples)."

Since we have followed the protocol (with the exception of Kaolin) and still have the same problem, what do you suggest?

Cordially,
Dave

December 5, 2014

Hi Dave,

For Snickers, you wrote,
"For the last 3 weeks or so, we’ve been feeding cooked ground turkey, probiotics and with some Evangers beef dinner with supplements"

Does Evangers make a canned turkey? He seemed to do the best in October when he was eating cooked turkey with the pumpkin and zucchini. Now with the Evangers beef added it seems that he is more irregular, an indication that the above diet was not continued for a long enough time, to allow him to heal. Also, the Kaolin-pectin would help decrease the mucous secretion and absorb the excess fluid (loose stool) produced.

Perhaps, returning to the diet you fed in October,
you wrote,
"we’ve fed Snickers Turkey, Pumpkin and Zucchini – for example 10-27 through 10-30.
Stool seemed to clear up becoming firmer and with no mucus. We would then slowly reintroduce Evangers Beef or Evangers Chicken."

Continue the acidophilus, (probiotics), start the Kaolin/Pectin, feed the same diet you did in October, without any canned food until he is able to produce a fairly normal stool for 4 weeks. Then, start to introduce some canned food. Maybe Nutro, Nature's Recipe or Innova, might be easier for him than the Evanger's?

I would continue the Azodyl until his BUN and Creatinine are normal.

"Snickers is also losing hair...and... he is very restless sometimes and wakes up in the middle of the night"

I am not sure why the hair loss, unless it is due to a partial dehydration and lack of absorption of the correct nutrients to maintain a good hair coat. Hopefully, as the loose stool, (Irritable Bowel) problem is alleviated, his hair coat will improve.

Could the restless behavior be due to discomfort, or an urgency to defecate? Or is he having an increase in urination or thirst, and that is why he is getting up at night?

Let me know how he does once he has had some Kaolin Pectin (not from China). Depending on his response, or if NO response, then a homeopathic remedy should be found.

Montmorency Tart Cherries
by: Dave

February 27, 2015

Hello Dr. Tillman,

Snickers’ joints have been getting progressively worse. In order to help his joints, we’ve started using dark-skinned Montmorency Tart Cherries from Brownwoodacres.com (one a day beginning on 2-24-15). Your thoughts? Are there any side effects that you know of?

Here’s information from their website:

A well balanced diet that includes the antioxidant health benefits of tart cherries makes as much sense for dogs as it does for their owners. Now those healthful compounds found in dark-skinned Montmorency Tart Cherries are available in a special canine formula: FruitFast® Pet Picked CherryFlex® for Dogs.

Made from whole fruit utilizing our proprietary process, including the skin and pulp, CherryFlex for Dogs Softgels have a made without preservatives, by-products or fillers. Designed to help your dog maintain healthy joint function, CherryFlex for Dogs is available in 60-count bottles.
Recommended use is one softgel daily for canines 24 pounds of weight and under and two softgels daily for canines 25 pounds and over. Taken with or without food as a treat, the 1 gram fill wt softgels are bio-available, easy for dogs to swallow or chew, and do not require refrigeration.

We are committed to helping your pet live a healthy and active life. Try FruitFast CherryFlex for Dogs today!
Active Ingredients per softgel: Tart cherry paste 400 mg
Inactive Ingredients: Beeswax, gelatin, glycerin, olive oil, soy lecithin, water.

http://www.brownwoodacres.com/cherryflex-for-dogs.html

Cordially,
Dave

February 27, 2015

Hi Dave,
From your post,
Montmorency Tart Cherries from Brownwoodacres.com (one a day beginning on 2-24-15). Your thoughts? Are there any side effects that you know of?

I checked out the website, and the product looks like it would be great for Snickers. Although, I could not locate how much Vitamin C was in each serving, or if the Vitamin C was in the ascorbic acid form or the 'salt' form, such as calcium or sodium ascorbate. The salt form would be MUCH easier for Snicker's digestive tract. Since dogs' stomachs have 10X more hydrochloric acid than human stomachs. So, we can tolerate Ascorbic acid, oranges, and other citrus fruits, and tomatoes, much easier than dogs.

If you could contact the company, and ask about this. Hopefully, they have already worked it out, since it is made for dogs.

Snickers NEW

That poor dog sounds like an subject in an experiment! All of putting your 2 penny worth in and most of its rubbish. Get the poor thing to decent vet and stop trying to treat it with guesswork and quackery!!!

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Blood Work Review NEW

August 1, 2015

As Snickers was a 14 year old Male Cocker Spaniel in June 2014, the owner is doing something right by home cooking, and giving him supplements. He was being advised by a 'conventional' veterinarian, and Snickers was not improving. He does have a lot of health issues: Heart murmur, kidney disease, colitis, and hypothyroidism.

I have not had a recent update from the owner, so I do not know how Snicker's is doing at this time.

Dr Tillman