Dog Blind from Optis Neuritis

by Linda R.
(Ft. Wayne, IN)

I sold a Lhasa apso puppy female that has gone blind from optis neurits (not sure about GME yet). I don't have a picture of her eyes as she is still living with her owners.

I took her to a vet in Indy. Has been on pred for 2 wks now. No change yet. I only did a parvo distemper booster @ 9 wks.

She turned 6 months old on Jan 22 2013. The vet they go to gave her a rabies shot, also booster at the same time. I think she was going blind before that. The other 5 pups are fine.

She is bloated from pred, I feel so bad for her & owners, as I care about the health of my dogs. What can we do that's natural?

I take her for a recheck tomorrow and will obtain blood work results then.

Thank you, Linda

Comments for Dog Blind from Optis Neuritis

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Blind from Optic Neuritis

Hi Linda,

Treating such a young patient with homeopathic remedies is tough, since they have few characteristic symptoms.

From the 'timeline' of this pup's short life, she was born in July 2012, vaccinated with distemper/parvo at 9 weeks old, (September). Apparently she was normal and visual at this time?

In the intervening months October, November and December, she gradually developed blindness. Since the other 5 pups are normal, it would seem there is no hereditary factor, (or very low chance of inherited problem) therefore, I would blame the vaccination. And now in January, she has been vaccinated AGAIN! (with Rabies and a distemper/Parvo booster!) Not sure why the veterinarian would vaccinate a BLIND puppy that has been on steroids for the past 2 weeks. She obviously is NOT healthy. (In every box of vaccine is an insert that says, 'To be administered to healthy animals ONLY.')

Repertorizing her symptoms that are present:

1. Blindness, due to paralysis of optic nerve

2. Inflammation of optic nerve

3. Adverse effects after vaccination
The TOP (chronic) Homeopathy for dog care: Could it be an Option for Your Dog? are Belladonna, Phosphorus, Arsenicum, Mercurius, Silicea, Sulphur and Thuya.

Each of these remedies fits a particular constitution. As I have no specific information about this little girl's personality, habits, or other traits, I am unable to tell you which remedy would help her.

Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian that can 'take the case'. Once the appropriate remedy is chosen, then the cortisone can be weaned off.

Also, NO MORE vaccinations!!

She should be fed a Raw diet. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options

I also advise a blood panel to have her liver enzymes checked. A side effect of cortisone is increased liver enzymes. She should be on milk thistle, 8mg per lb TWO times daily to provide liver support while she is on the cortisone.