Dog bladder issues and blood sugar

I have a black lab who is almost 8. 4 months ago he was acting strange and not his usual self. We took him to the vet and they did blood work on him and said his liver and kidneys were shutting down and that his panel came back as that of a 15 year old dog.

They decided to start him on baytril. He was doing good up till about a month ago when he was no longer able to keep his bladder. Every time he laid down he would dribble and when he stood up the flood gates opened.

The next day I noticed he was running into the walls and tables. Took him to the vet explained what his symptoms were. His blood sugar was 580. They started him on insulin - yesterday made a week his blood sugar was 337.

We changed his diet to grain free all natural food. 1/2 cup in the morning followed by shot and 1/2 cup in the afternoon followed by shot.

His eyes are very cloudy now and his 3rd eyelid is starting to cover his eyes a bit. I feel so bad for my boy. I hate seeing him this way. We have talked about doing what we don't want to do.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Dog Diabetes: tell us about your dog and treatment.