Dog Biting Skin Resulting in Thinned Hair. Her Puppy Has Fungal Infection

the 4 1/2 year old mom

the 4 1/2 year old mom

the 4 1/2 year old mom
The pup

I have 2 wirehair pointers. The mom is 4 1/2 years old and has had skin problems since she was about 18 months old. She is biting herself and ends up with little patches of hair that is thinned down on her side, legs, behind her ears.

We have had her in to the vet a number of times to try to figure what is going on. The vet has treated her with cephalexin in the past and that has worked but it comes back. The vet also thought is was allergy's and we gave her the allergy serum but that did not seem to help either.

She has been treated with a flea and tick K-9 advantix. We also have tried treating it with some betadine and applying lotrimin and bathing her with no improvement. She has been on cephalexin quite a bit and I am trying to find something else that I can do for her.

Right now her food is Purina pro plan and we do mix their dry food with wet food daily. We have changed dog food a couple of times in the past with no results.

Her pup is 18 months and I believe has a fungal infection. She came in contact with a feral cat and started to loose hair the same way as her mom.

I started treating her with betadine and lotrimin and giving her a bath with medicated shampoo. I took her to the vet about it and the test came back that she has a fungal infection. The vet told me to keep doing what I have been doing and if it does not get better bring her in for treatment.

This is the eighth week with no improvement. She is on the same dog food as her mother. I fear that this is the same thing that her mom has and they are going to treat it the same way. I do not want to start taking her in all the time and am hoping that there is something that can be done.

Comments for Dog Biting Skin Resulting in Thinned Hair. Her Puppy Has Fungal Infection

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Biting Skin Resulting in Thinned Hair. Her Puppy Has Fungal Infection.

Hello,
Hopefully, these suggestions will help. For your two wirehair pointers, from the photo you sent, it looks like flea allergy dermatitis that has progressed to secondary fungus/bacteria. I would stop the betadine, and lotrimin as it is too drying, and use a baby shampoo or oatmeal shampoo. Bathe both of them once a week.

Use EVOLV as a flea/tick repellant. Follow the recommendations on our page for Natural Flea Prevention.

Add 1,000mg of fish oil Omega 3 to diet 2 times daily. Gradually transition away from Dry to more canned dog food and/or a RAW diet.

They should have NO vaccinations. This will only stress their immune system at this time. A holistic vet can write an exemption form as needed. They may also need immune system supplements and homeopathic remedies to treat for chronic disease.