Dog belly rash after being spayed

by Jordan

My dog has this rash on her belly (see photo). She was spayed about a month ago and you can see where she was shorn.

She's a rescue, about 19 months old, and I just got her a few weeks ago. My friend noticed the rash on her belly two days ago. Otherwise, she seems to be perfectly healthy.

Comments for Dog belly rash after being spayed

My Online Vet Response for Dog Belly Rash after being spayed

Hi Jordan,
From the photo it appears to be a superficial pyoderma, or mild dermatitis. This is not uncommon after a stress to the system, such as a major surgery. And if she was vaccinated at the same time as she had her surgery, this would also stress her immune system, resulting in a bacterial infection of her skin.

This area of her skin, along the mid-line, should be cleaned with a mild shampoo such as baby shampoo. Rinse and dry well. DO NOT apply anything topical to the rash, as this will give her a tendency to lick the area which will delay healing. The area will need to be cleaned once daily for 7-10 days.

She should also be on a good quality diet. See our page on the best dog food choices.

Ideally, a visit to a holistic veterinarian will help to guide you in treating her, especially if she is NOT healing, and perhaps has a compromised immune system. A holistic veterinarian can use homeopathic remedies to treat 'vaccinosis', supplements to boost her immune system, and other more natural methods to help her heal.

Treatment by a conventional veterinarian would include antibiotics and possibly steroids, which are not intended to promote a healthy immune system at all.

Click here to locate holistic veterinarian near you.

by: Jordan

Thanks Dr. Tillman, the rash cleared up after a few days!