Dog Ate My Diabetic Medicine

by Rayleen
(American Fork, UT, USA)

Somehow my dog jumped up and got my diabetic medicine (850 mg tablets) and I think he ate 5 of them.

How do I counter act this problem without having to take him to the Animal Hospital and have his tummy pumped?

He is a chocolate lab who is one year and a month and weights about 75lbs.

Comments for Dog Ate My Diabetic Medicine

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Ate my Diabetic Medicine

Hi Rayleen,

If it has been LESS than 2-3 hours since your dog ate the tablets, (they should still be in his stomach), for his bodyweight you can give him TWO tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to swallow.

Put him in a room with no carpet or take him outside and sit with him. Wait 15-20 minutes. If he does not vomit, repeat TWO tablespoons.

I am a bit concerned though, if the tablets have already absorbed into his system, then his blood sugar will be dropping. If he vomits and empties his stomach, (hydrogen peroxide will make him nauseous for a few hours, so he will not feel like eating), his blood sugar will drop even more, and then there will be a danger of hypoglygemia. (LOW BLOOD SUGAR)

In which case you will need to take him in to a vet hospital anyway, where they can give him IV 50% glucose.

Good Luck!!

My dog ate my diabetic meds
by: Rayleen

Thank you for your advise. I was so scared last night that I called the animal poison control and they gave me the same advise. I did as instructed and pretty much emptied my dog's stomach and found only one tablet in tact. I am glad it was only one, but the whole experience was very frightening for me and I am sure for my dog. Thanks again!

My Online Vet Response for: Dog Ate My Diabetic Medicine

Hi Rayleen,

Thank you so much for the follow up and to report a 'happy' outcome!

I am glad that he is doing ok. It is still amazing to me that when you try to give a dog a tablet or pill that they *need* they will spit it out or completely refuse it.

Then when there are other pills or tablets laying around that are NOT for them, they will voluntarily eat them!! That is something I will never understand!