SpotOnTM Case Study #X that Includes Your Dog’s Symptom(s)Case Study #X

Ask Our Vets < Back to Search Results< Back

Dog Ate My Diabetic Medicine

by Rayleen
(American Fork, UT, USA)

Somehow my dog jumped up and got my diabetic medicine (850 mg tablets) and I think he ate 5 of them.


How do I counter act this problem without having to take him to the Animal Hospital and have his tummy pumped?

He is a chocolate lab who is one year and a month and weights about 75lbs.

Comments for Dog Ate My Diabetic Medicine

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 14, 2013
My Online Vet Response for: Dog Ate my Diabetic Medicine
by: Dr. Carol Jean Tillman

Hi Rayleen,

If it has been LESS than 2-3 hours since your dog ate the tablets, (they should still be in his stomach), for his bodyweight you can give him TWO tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to swallow.

Put him in a room with no carpet or take him outside and sit with him. Wait 15-20 minutes. If he does not vomit, repeat TWO tablespoons.

I am a bit concerned though, if the tablets have already absorbed into his system, then his blood sugar will be dropping. If he vomits and empties his stomach, (hydrogen peroxide will make him nauseous for a few hours, so he will not feel like eating), his blood sugar will drop even more, and then there will be a danger of hypoglygemia. (LOW BLOOD SUGAR)

In which case you will need to take him in to a vet hospital anyway, where they can give him IV 50% glucose.

Good Luck!!

Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Take care,
Dr. Carol Jean Tillman


DISCLAIMER: The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person.

Feb 14, 2013
My dog ate my diabetic meds
by: Rayleen

Thank you for your advise. I was so scared last night that I called the animal poison control and they gave me the same advise. I did as instructed and pretty much emptied my dog's stomach and found only one tablet in tact. I am glad it was only one, but the whole experience was very frightening for me and I am sure for my dog. Thanks again!

Feb 15, 2013
My Online Vet Response for: Dog Ate My Diabetic Medicine
by: Dr. Carol Jean Tillman

Hi Rayleen,

Thank you so much for the follow up and to report a 'happy' outcome!

I am glad that he is doing ok. It is still amazing to me that when you try to give a dog a tablet or pill that they *need* they will spit it out or completely refuse it.

Then when there are other pills or tablets laying around that are NOT for them, they will voluntarily eat them!! That is something I will never understand!

Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Take care,
Dr. Carol Jean Tillman

P.S. If you've found this service or our web site helpful, please "Like" us by clicking the like button at the top of the left margin. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person.



Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask a Vet Online via My Online Vet (SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED FOR NEW QUESTIONS).

This is the end of SpotOnTM Case Study #X for Your Symptom(s).End of Case Study #X

Ask Our Vets < Back to Search Results< Back

Want to ask our veterinarians a question but haven't subscribed to My Online Vet? Click here to learn how or click here to go back to the Ask a Vet Online Library of questions.

Want monthly "News You Can Use" and important Organic Pet Digest new content updates?  Click here to sign up for our FREE Dog Care Monthly newsletter.


Do you believe in holistic pet care?  If so, please tell your friends about us with a Facebook like, Google +1 or via Twitter, Pinterest, email or good old fashioned word of mouth. Thank you for supporting our efforts!

For additional research, search for your topic...



Disclaimers: The information contained in this web site is provided for general informational purposes only. It is not intended as nor should be relied upon as medical advice. Rather, it is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a pet owner/site visitor and his/her local veterinarian(s). Before you use any of the information provided in the site, you should seek the advice of a qualified professional.

In the spirit of full disclosure, we wanted to let you know that we proudly support this website through advertising and affiliate marketing. In other words, when you click on a link that takes you outside of this website, we often earn a small commission. These small commissions allow us to keep the site up and running and to continue offering it completely free of charge to you. Rest assured that all content, recommendations and advice are created before, and are independent of, any sponsorship or affiliate relationship. Click here for more info.