Distemper Virus Attacks Dog

by Abhishek

A few months old pup, who, it appears, wasn't vaccinated for distemper, was attacked by the distemper virus.

His legs tremble at times, his eyes are twitching and he is not at ease. There is froth at the mouth and he is very weak. He is lying down.

There is discharge of liquid from his eyes.

After he was abandoned by the owner, someone rescued him and took him to their place. He is with us now.

He has been getting glucose and was administered a dose of serum once. Please let us know how he will be cured, as also the appropriate diet pattern.

Comments for Distemper Virus Attacks Dog

My Online Vet Response for: Distemper Virus Attacks Dog

Dear Abhishek,
I am not sure that I can 'cure' this pup. When the distemper virus has advanced from the respiratory tract, to the GI tract and then to the nervous system, it may be too late for treatment. From the photo you provided, he appears to be receiving supportive care with IV fluids, and 50% glucose IV. I am not sure if the pup is conscious enough to take anything by mouth or not.

You might try the homeopathic remedy Gelsemium 200C dissolved in Spring Water, and give 1/2 tsp by mouth, just lift his lip and apply it to his gums/mucous membranes, one time per hour for 3 hours then every 8 hours, until he has more energy. He does not have to swallow the liquid, if it touches mucous membranes, then the remedy will be absorbed, even if he does not swallow it.

He should also be receiving some B-vitamin and B-12 injections, until he is able to eat. If he is swallowing, you need to provide adequate protein. At least 250 calories, divided 4-6 times daily.

It would be best to consult with a holistic veterinarian who can evaluate the puppy in 'person' take the temperature, listen to heart and lungs, monitor consciousness, check color of mucous membranes, and capillary refill time, etc. Thereby, being able to consider the best remedy to give, potency, and frequency on an hour to hour basis.

How much b12 do we give a puppy?

My Online Vet Response for: Distemper Virus Attacks Dog NEW

July 3, 2015

Dear Anonymous
I am no longer acting as consultant for Organic Pet Digest. If your pup need Vitamin B12, please take him/her to a veterinarian for diagnosis, and they will determine the dosage needed.

Dr Carol Jean Tillman