Diagnosed as a dog eye allergy

by Angie
(Boulder, CO)

Please take a look at the photos above. Is this an eye allergy? That's what the vet said, but it has been a while... 5 days since she went to the vet and her eyes still look the same.

He gave her some eye drops. What do you suggest?
She is a 7 year old female Aussie.

Thanks,
Angie

Comments for Diagnosed as a dog eye allergy

My Online Vet Response for: Diagnosed as a dog eye allergy

Hi Angie,
Your photos show that BOTH eyes have inflammation of the conjunctiva, and the 3rd eyelid is also inflamed. You mentioned that after 5 days on eye drops, there was no response. I am not sure if the eye drops are antibiotics, steroids, or both.

Since, 'conjunctivitis' and inflammation of the 3rd eyelid can be due to allergy, bacterial, viral, autoimmune, vaccine related, or foreign matter in the eyes, it would be hard to make a specific diagnosis from a photo. And if the condition is due to an allergy, and the drops are only antibiotics, then they would not help. If the problem is due to a virus, then the antibiotics would not help.

In any case, conventional 'drops' only treat the symptoms. In holistic or 'wholistic' medicine, we are concerned with the health of the WHOLE patient. WHY did she develop conjunctivitis in the first place? What made her susceptible? Has she been over vaccinated, and has a poor immune system? Is she eating a DRY DOG FOOD diet, with not enough moisture in her system? Or was she recently vaccinated? Possibly the viral component in the vaccine (kennel cough? distemper?) triggered a virus infection.

I advise using a saline eye wash to rinse her eyes 2-3 times daily for 3 days. Improve her diet, less (or NO) DRY DOG FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food options. And especially consider a RAW dog food diet for her. Consider adding Missing Link to her diet, to help her immune system.

Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian if the above steps are not helping. Using only eye drops to help her eyes, especially when there is no response, is not the solution.