Dark Red Spots Under Dog's Skin on Belly

by Allison
(Appomattox, Virginia)

Red spot to left on belly

Red spot to left on belly

We noticed two large red spots on our dog that looked to be under the skin 2 days ago, one on the underside of each leg (thigh area). These two spots have faded, but smaller spots that have the same characteristics (bright red, under skin) have appeared further up on her belly with the largest being the one on the picture.

She is not acting abnormally, not scratching, and does not seem to be in pain. The spots don't seem tender to the touch, but we are concerned that more of them have appeared. We have not tried to put anything on them as we can't really figure out what they are.

Our dog is a miniature dachshund who is 2 years old and weighs about 8 pounds. She is an indoor dog and is pad trained so is indoors all day, especially during winter months.

Comments for Dark Red Spots Under Dog's Skin on Belly

My Online Vet Response for: Dark Red Spots Under Dog's Skin on Belly

February 15, 2014

Hi Allison,

From the photo of your dog's belly/chest area, the spots look like they may be 'petechiations' or ecchymoses. This is a rupture of capillaries under the skin. Similar to a bruise but a bit more serious. As it is not due to trauma but due to problems such as an auto-immune disease, lack of Vit K as from ingestion of rat poison or other toxin that causes bleeding, or low platelet count or other disruption in the clotting process.

Since I am only relying on the information from a photo, it would be best to take your dog to a veterinarian as soon as possible for a checkup and complete blood count. I have no suggestions to offer until you have a more specific diagnosis.