Dark Dog Skin Rash - Acanthosis Nigricans

by Christopher Basham
(Wazahachie ,TX. US)

Dark Dog Skin Rash

Dark Dog Skin Rash

Buster is a 1 yr old Pitbull. He had this rash on both sides of is belly. We put some lotion on them...one went away and the other did not.

I don't think it's mange.

I have two other dogs that are in the house as well and they have never had this. He has had the rash since we got him as a puppy. Any ideas?

Comments for Dark Dog Skin Rash - Acanthosis Nigricans

My Online Vet Response for Dark Skin Rash

Hi Christopher,
The photo of Buster looks like a condition called Acanthosis Nigricans. It is common in Dachsunds, and usually caused by friction. Dachsunds have very short legs and deep chests, and the skin fold in the armpit will be continuously irritated, eventually turn red, and over time become darker and turn black.

Since Buster is a one year old Pit bull, and you mentioned that he has had this since he was a puppy, I would wonder if it is secondary to some other problem that caused him to continuously itch, lick or chew at his belly/flank area. Perhaps he had an allergic reaction to an insect bite or sting, from a new food, shampoo, flea or tick repellent, heartworm medicine, or after a vaccination?

Since he has been unable to completely return to normal healthy skin, I would suggest contacting a holistic veterinarian. Check at the bottom of our Dog Vet Care page to find one in your area. I would also suggest checking the Diet section on our site to make sure Buster and your other dogs are getting the very best nutrition possible. A holistic veterinarian that is knowledgeable in homeopathy will be the best bet for getting Buster healthy!

Dog Skin Conditions,
Dog Itchy Skin,
Dog Skin Rash,
Dog Skin Allergies,
Ask a Vet Online Library - Dog Skin Rashes, Marks, Spots, Lesions & Patches (including itchy skin and mange) Section

Acanthosis Nicrigans in dachshunds
by: Lily

Your first paragraph description of the dachshund skin condition describes my pet dachshund. The vet tested her for thyroid but it came back negative. Next, he wants to start antibiotics. My dog is twelve years old. Is this condition to be expected in an older dog? what should I be doing for her? It does not seem to bother her.

My Online Vet Response for Dark Dog Skin Rash-Acanthosis Nigricans

Dear Lily,
Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).