Dangling Dog Tail Growth

Emily's growth

Emily's growth

My dog Emily has a growth on her right back leg (pictured). It measures 1 inch long x 1/2 inch wide. The growth dangles, or hangs. She has had it for two years.

Emily is a Great Dane, 5 years old and in excellent health.

Could you identify the growth and advise how it best be treated?

Thank you for your assistance.

Comments for Dangling Dog Tail Growth

My Online Vet response to dangling dog tail growth
by: Dr. Lisa Brienen

Due to the length of time this growth has been present without major growth or inflammation it is most likely benign (not bad). These frequently turn out to be trichoepitheliomas, or epitheliomas - benign overgrowths of skin or hair follicle cells.

Sometimes homeopathy helps - I'd try a single dose of Thuja 30c (3 pellets, crushed between spoons and tipped into her mouth). Then wait 6-8 weeks.

A holistic vet trained in homeopathy would be able to get a fuller picture of her overall situation and prescribe more accurately. Click here to search for a veterinarian in your area (call first to ensure that they practice homeopoathy).

"Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

Dr. Lisa Brienen

DISCLAIMER: This educational advice is based on the depth of your question and the picture you submitted. The above should never replace the advice of your local veterinarian, as they have the ability to evaluate your dog in person."