Dangling Cyst on Dog's Elbow

My English Pointer has a large dangling cyst on his elbow. He has had it for a couple of years now and I was hoping it would fall off but has not.

As for a lot of people money is tight these days and I really cannot afford a vet visit at this time. Can I remove this cyst myself? If so, can you tell me how to do it?

Otherwise the dog is healthy, happy and very active!

Thank You for your help!

Eric

Comments for Dangling Cyst on Dog's Elbow

My Online Vet Response for Dangling Cyst on Dog's Elbow

Hi Eric,
Great photo. In answer to your question, NO, it would not be a good idea for you to remove the cyst yourself. The elbow is a difficult location to bandage, and even with the proper surgery to remove it and suture it in a sterile manner, the follow-up for healing can be a very long process. Trauma from laying on it is the biggest obstacle to healing.

On the other hand, a holistic approach to improve your dog's health so the cyst may be encouraged to fall off would be ideal. Diet (NO DRY FOOD), no more vaccinations, and homeopathic remedies plus dog dietary supplements would be very important.

Homeopathic remedies such as Thuya and Sulphur are good remedies to treat benign growths. A raw dog food diet would be the best route to obtain optimal health for your dog.

Start with feeding a good quality canned dog food, then transition to a raw diet. Anti-oxidants such as Mega C powder added to the food would also be a good supplement.

To differentiate between homeopathic remedies and decide which one would be best for your dog would require a visit to a holistic veterinarian. But in the meantime, you could start with diet and supplements, and use Thuya 1X ointment to apply to the cyst one to two times daily for 3 to 4 weeks.

To find a holistic veterinarian in your area click here:

How to remove cyst

Hi Eric,

I have read about, and also have a friend who successfully removed skin tags and moves themselves using clear nail polish on the area twice daily.

The idea is that it chokes off the skin tag.
It would take about thirty days.

I would try it on the area where it attaches to the elbow itself.

Clean the area first with rubbing alcohol.
Dry it with a cotton swab.

Then apply the clear nail polish.

There are videos on the net showing the progress of this spanning thirty days.

Put it on in the morning and in the evening....
My dog has a cyst on her tail and I am going to try this as well....

Good luck!

Hi Eric,
I have never heard of using nail polish as a method for removing growths. If it causes an irritation, or wound in that area, you may create other problems. As I mentioned in my first post,

"The elbow is a difficult location to bandage, and even with the proper surgery to remove it and suture it in a sterile manner, the follow-up for healing can be a very long process. Trauma from laying on it is the biggest obstacle to healing."

Of course, I am always open for less invasive, less harmful treatment methods, so if it works please report back and keep us posted!!

Keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.

cyst

my dog also has a cyst that looks a little similar though not quite as big. I have been putting castor oil on it and it is shrinking some i clean it with hydrogen peroxide daily and bandage for now. I am transitioning her food. Can you give me an idea of what a raw food diet would consist of.

My Online Vet Response for: Dangling Cyst on Dog's Elbow

Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help, but we only accept new questions from subscribers (the original question above was from a subscriber).

re. castor oil

My grandmother gave some to me to put on a small warty sort of mole I'd developed on my arm just above the elbow. I applied it one time, and that thing just went away.
Now I'm not sure if this would work on such a large lump but surely it's a non-invasive, and safe way to get rid of certain types of benign lumps on a pet?

October 23, 2014

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the use of castor oil for removal of benign growths. Using topical oils, ointments, creams etc. there is always the danger of the patient licking, and/or swallowing the oil, cream, whatever.

Also, the original posting showed this growth to be on the elbow which is a very difficult area to bandage. So, if the Castor oil were applied, and you wanted to cover it, you would probably cause more problems trying to keep a bandage in this area. My suggestion to the owner was to seek the help of a holistic veterinarian who could prescribe a homeopathic remedy.