Dachshund with Red Eye

by Casey G.
(St. Petersburg, FL)

We have a 7 year old double dapple dachshund who as of a few days ago came in from outside with a red eye. The eye is already blind so we are thinking she may have run into something.

It appears the nictitating membrane is slightly raised, however I cannot see any visible scratches. There is also a bit of drainage from the inferior medial portion of the eye.

Is there anything we can treat the eye with prior to taking her to her normal veterinarian?

Thank you.

Comments for Dachshund with Red Eye

My Online Vet Response for: Dachsund with Red Eye

Hi Casey,
"The eye is already blind so we are thinking she may have run into something."

I think you are correct. And a corneal ulcer can sometimes be difficult to see without a contrasting fluorescein stain to highlight it. In the meantime, you might try to run a stream of saline into her eye, to rinse it out. This may help to flush any small debris that may be lodged under her eyelids if she did hit her eye and scratch the cornea. After rinsing with saline, you can put in 2-3 drops of sweet almond oil, every 3-4 hours. This helps to lubricate the cornea and provides some relief, until she can be examined.