Crusty Stuff In & Around Dog Eyes with Red Eye, Cloudiness and Partial Blindness

by Sue C.
(Bailey, NC)

My 4 year old shihtzu female has constant crusty stuff in and around her eyes. The left one has a white scaly thing in the center, the right is cloudy and in parts the cornea is reddish.

My vet said she had dry eye, and she has been on cyclosporum and an med for eye infection for 3 months (the eye infection med has been 3 weeks.) but I see no improvement. If anything it looks worse.

What else can I try? She has lived indoors all of her life, going out to potty of course. We live in NC. And she is almost blind. I think she just sees shadows.

Comments for Crusty Stuff In & Around Dog Eyes with Red Eye, Cloudiness and Partial Blindness

My Online Vet Response for: Crusty Stuff In & Around Dog Eyes with Red Eye, Cloudiness and Partial Blindness

Hi Sue,

Treating for Dry Eye, (technical name Kerato Conjunctivitis Sicca) with Cyclosporine, you will usually see an improvement in the eyes within 5-7 days.

If there has been NO improvement after 2 weeks, your veterinarian should have referred you to a veterinary ophthalmologist. The description of the left eye with 'white scaly thing in center', and the right eye is cloudy and the cornea is reddish', does NOT sound good.

There is no photo, therefore I am unable to comment on what else is occurring. Since you have been treating for THREE months with no improvement and she is almost blind, please find a veterinary ophthalmologist for a second opinion and more specific treatment as soon as possible!

Hopefully the damage has not become irreversible. Please keep us posted by coming back to this page and clicking the 'click here to add your own comments' link below.