Crusty Fast-Growing Mole-Like Growth on Dog's Leg

by Charmaine
(Zabat)

There is a growth on my dog's leg that I noticed on 5/24. The growth is hard and the top is crusty, and the sides are reddish/pink. It's raised up from the skin and top part has something that looks like an eye (think about pimple) and today it's kind of flaky.

When you look at the side, it's like I can almost take it off. I took two pictures, one shows the top view, one of the side view.

One thing I did notice is that when he climbs the stairs, he stops on the right paw to pull him up (the growth is on the left leg).

The day before I noticed the growth he was at the vet getting the following shots:
Vaccine - Canine Bordetella
Tonometry
Pyrantel Pamoate 50 mg/ml

It started out half the size and I took him to the vet a week after 5/24 and I was told to really find out for sure we need to take a sample and that cost $80. The other option was to have the whole mass removed and I was planning on doing that by November when he is due for his dental cleaning.

I am not sure about this now since I have read some issues that for some growths like this if you remove, more might come.

Nothing has changed behavior wise and if I press the area he doesn't even react. I think he reacts more to me twisting his leg around so I can see the growth.

Is it a good idea to have this thing removed?

It's not really affecting him and my only worry is that whether it's cancerous or not. So far I don't think it really bothers him.

Comments for Crusty Fast-Growing Mole-Like Growth on Dog's Leg

My Online Vet Response for: Crusty Fast-Growing Mole-Like Growth on Dog's Leg

Hi Charmaine,
From the photos you submitted, this does not look like a malignant growth. You did not give the age of your dog, since dogs older than 7-8 years seem to be more susceptible to warts appearing. These are due to vaccinations, and the more vaccines given to your dog the more warts/growths/tumors etc he will form. See our page on Dog Warts.

Unfortunately, you just had vaccinations given to your dog.

Instead of surgically removing this wart, try this:
1. - 1X potency.

Apply ointment to wart one time daily for the next 3-6 weeks. Apply it just before he is going to eat, this way it will give him a distraction so he will not lick off the ointment immediately.

2. Consider an improvement in his diet. NO DRY FOOD. See our page on 10 Best Dog Food Options and consider a RAW diet for your dog. Make a gradual change to the raw diet over the next 3-6 weeks.

3. NO MORE VACCINATIONS. Seek the help of a holistic veterinarian to write an exemption form to avoid future vaccinations. Also, to treat your dog for any eye problems. (You mentioned you had the intra-ocular pressure checked at your visit.) As a *holistic* veterinarian, it is NOT just the wart that will be treated, the WHOLE patient will be treated.

Hopefully, this wart will shrink and disappear, and by treating holistically, he will be healthier overall!

If the wart is taking a longer time to respond to treatment, your dog may need some oral homeopathic remedies to treat 'vaccinosis' and also some immune support supplements.

- Dog Warts
- Dog Skin Conditions

Just a big, ol' wart NEW

Hi,

Same thing happened to my dog. He suddenly developed this big, brown, crusty "beauty wart" on his face.

A dog-person looked at it and said it was a wart. Most likely, caused by over-vaccination. For aesthetic reasons, you might want to have it removed but, it's expensive.

If you just leave it and apply topical stuff like, vitamin E, Apple Cider Vinegar and maybe lavender oil (look into each) a few times a day, the thing will just...fall off his face in 3-6 months.

Careful about your vet... Vets don't care about you or your pet. They are extremely greedy and unscrupulous.

Cheers,
Marsha